raiseborer

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Topic author
rayman

raiseborer

Post #1 by rayman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:11 am

this is a raiseborer head. Some of the bits have been removed from the back one. First a hole about 8" diameter is drilled down into a gallery underground, then a drill shaft is dropped down and this head screwed on and the larger hole is drilled from the bottom upwards the one on the left shows the pedestals that carry the rotary drills.
raisebore.JPG

Robban_C

Re: raiseborer

Post #2 by Robban_C » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:20 pm

gallery underground? Is that caves?
Why do they drill upwards?
And what do they drill?
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Topic author
rayman

Post #3 by rayman » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:04 am

Robban, I guess you could call mineshafts caves, they drill upwards to get a larger hole in one go. You just drill a pilot hole down, then drill the big one by pulling up and all the drillings land on the floor. You can bore thru anything from compacted dirt to granite.

Robban_C

Post #4 by Robban_C » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:27 am

Ok, thanks! :thumbs_up:
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

dozeron

Post #5 by dozeron » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:00 pm

Hi All,
Yep, thats a raiseborer, Used one quite a few times when I was working as a miner/mechanic for a mining company back in NZ. We used it to cut ventilation holes between different levels in an underground gold mine. Best thing in its favour is the gravity takes care of getting rid of the tailings as you cut. Initially it takes a bit of setting up but then its real easy cutting. Way back in 1987 I was offered a contract in PNG working up the Fly river in a gold mine. I had answered an add in the paper and got a start cause I knew what an Alimak climber was. Had never used one but was familar with the operation. Only one to answer who was. Didnt go as I got a start in a mine in NZ and it meant I wouldnt have been away from the family for up to 4 months at a time. Now older and smarter ?? Only like L&E jobs now, (Light & Easy). The saying back in those days was, You dont have to be smart to work underground, just lift heavy things!!
regards, dozeron.

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”