Wigtruck

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Topic author
Elfonz
Flag: Australia

Wigtruck

Post #1 by Elfonz » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:44 pm

I know underground mining machinery probably does,nt belong on here,but this machine used to spend alot of time on the surface too.It was developed by Wigmores who used to be the Catetpillar dealer in Western Australia for a long time before it became Westrac, hence the name Wigtruck.It is a 631 scraper front end with a 35 ton rear dumper on the back instead of a bowl.Western Mining Corporation who owned the Windarra nickel mine near Laverton in the goldfields of W.A owned 5 of these and i had the pleasure of driving all of them back in 1980.
Screenshot_2015-12-30-04-56-39-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Wigtruck

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:33 pm

Nice one Don :thumbup: 'needs must' amazing at just what 'home grown' kit has been manufactured based on original equipment.

Jeremy

Topic author
Elfonz
Flag: Australia

Re: Wigtruck

Post #3 by Elfonz » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:23 pm

Thanks Jeremy,yes abit differant to what they use nowdays.I think the cat trucks are called Elphinstone now.We also had a Kiruna,i think it was spelt,from sweden i believe,real flash fully enclosed cab etc .Only the special people were allowed to drive it ,sadly that didnt include me.Wigtrucks were good enough for me though,they had the gears blocked off at 4th and believe me that was fast enough going down the decline when you had about a foot clearance either side.

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”