Street scenes

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

essexpete

Re: Street scenes

Post #81 by essexpete » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:34 pm

tim wrote:
Neversweat wrote:
essexpete wrote:So how do you tell a Reiver from a Mastiff (not a riddle :D )

Spelt differently :D :oops:

Visually the Reiver has the air cleaner behind the cab and fuel tank on the offside.The Super Mastiff has the header tank behind the cab off side and the fuel tank nearside.
brmastiffpic.jpg
greenham reiver3.jpg

I knew someone would have it!

The other Mastiff trait was its tendency to bounce and hop when shunting with the engine hunting, at least the one on the farm where I worked was like that.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #82 by FOWLER MAN » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:49 pm

essexpete wrote:
tim wrote:
Neversweat wrote:
essexpete wrote:So how do you tell a Reiver from a Mastiff (not a riddle :D )

Spelt differently :D :oops:

Visually the Reiver has the air cleaner behind the cab and fuel tank on the offside.The Super Mastiff has the header tank behind the cab off side and the fuel tank nearside.
brmastiffpic.jpg
greenham reiver3.jpg

I knew someone would have it!

The other Mastiff trait was its tendency to bounce and hop when shunting with the engine hunting, at least the one on the farm where I worked was like that.

Yes Pete,
A problem usually caused when the engine mountings got soft and need replacing.
One end of the throttle linkage attatched to the fixed chasis / frame and the other to the governor which moves with the engine opperating the throttle involintarily.
I got over the problem more than once in some of the older lorries by rigging a throttle cable instead of a rod. This takes the kangaroo out of the tank instantly.
It was more of a problem with the old vacum governors with a butterfly in the manifold which seemed to be more sensitive to engine movement. the first one I converted to cable was an old 1957 Kew Dodge, (Hell Drivers Type), with a vac. governed Perkins R6.

Fred

Cx5
Flag: Great Britain

Post #83 by Cx5 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:24 pm

A Cat sitting on the former forecourt of the Heron/Texaco service station at the junction of the B660 with the A1 in Huntingdonshire.
The demolition of the Wimpy/Happy Eater was about to follow on as this was the beginning of the A1 upgrade between Alconbury and Peterborough which commenced in April 96 and was completed in 1998 at a cost of £128 million.
More details http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120810121037/http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/4442.aspx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”