North Riding Council Wagons Northallerton 1933

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Topic author
neilarmo

North Riding Council Wagons Northallerton 1933

Post #1 by neilarmo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:30 pm

I hope someone can help. Having found the plate below in a farm building, I've googled it and found this link
http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/28th-july-1933/63/transport-for-road-maintenance

Does anyone possibly have any more info on the plate or the wagons being used. I am looking to sell the plate at some point but firstly I'm interested in the origins.
When we took the farm over there was a 'living van' base in a shed, which had metal wheels and the bearing caps said 'grove works - Barnard Castle' Could these have come from that?

Is this all a bit too old for classicmachinery, more the vintage or steam era.

Many thanks
Neil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: North Riding Council Wagons Northallerton 1933

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Neil it would appear that you have uncovered the information that you are looking for on reading the link? I did once come across a road roller that carried the local council plate which I thought was unusual, but perhaps this was once a more common way to advertise whose service the particular machine was in at the time? Perhaps somebody else can shed some more light for us?

Jeremy

Topic author
neilarmo

Re: North Riding Council Wagons Northallerton 1933

Post #3 by neilarmo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:06 pm

The link gives lots of info but as always I want more, if it's out there.
A bit more searching has told me that AMICE stands for Associate Member of Institute of Civil Engineers.

I'll try a few local steam engine enthusiasts after silly season but thought I'd start here.

Merry Wotsit

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”