1976 WINGET 4FL2500

Discuss fork lifts here

Topic author
jimwilli
Flag: Great Britain

1976 WINGET 4FL2500

Post #1 by jimwilli » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:43 am

Hi All.
Had this machine a few years thought I may as well apply for the logbook. Bought it without off the original owner. He last had it taxed in 1993 and the reg still checks out on DVLA website.
I've downloaded and filled in the v62 however I haven't filled in the VIN, Chassis or frame number. It says the form will be returned if this isn't included.
Any idea where I might find this number? I've found a serial number ontop of the gearbox but I would guess this relates to the gearbox only (Newage).
If i'm not successful in locating how strict are the DVLA when it comes to this section on 1976 vehicles?
Thanks in advance
Jim

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Re: 1976 WINGET 4FL2500

Post #2 by cobbadog » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:02 pm

Being in Australia I have no idea of how strict your DVLA people are.
However I also visit the David Brown Tractor Club UK forum where similar questions are asked. Sometimes you can get away with some numbers missing as they were not in use at that time. A VIN most likely was not in use back in 1976. Chassis or frame number will be there somewhere.
This will be like a treasure hunt. It took me a few weeks on and off to finally find a chassis number for my Liner and it was stamped onto the frame that supports the floor on the lets call it the passengers side. Apart from an engine number which you should have and that should also match the old 'tax' information for back in 1996. The number on the gearbox will simply be a Newage gearbox serial number and nothing more.
Other places to look for missing numbers and it sounds as if you have my problem, a missing ID plate that can be riveted on the back panel near the crank starting area if yours is like mine. All I have is the four rivet holes. Also look along the full length of the chassis looking from the outside for some numbers, so a good guerney cleaning and a good lead light to help you find numbers. If it looks like yours has 30 coats of paint this makes it harder to find. Look at parts that cannot be removed and allow the dumpy to be driven as these are the areas where chassis numbers can be stamped.
Hopefully some who knows a lot more about your model will check into the forum and let you know exactly where to look. Another possibility is do a Google Search on chassis numbers on your make/model dumpy even look in YouTube, stranger things have happened.
Is there a Vintage Tractor/engine club near you? If so ask them about the DVLA regs and how strict they are or better still ask the DVLA people themselves, sometimes Government departments can be helpful.

Sorry I forgot, Welcome to the forum.
Cheers Cobba

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:47 pm

Hi Jim and welcome :wave: I'm sure somebody on here will be able to inform you where to locate the numbers you require.

Jeremy

v1230nm
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by v1230nm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:30 pm

Hi Jim.

When you find the chassis number, I think you will probably need a written statement confirming the VIN or chassis number from Winget to satisfy DVLA. I used to be asked for this sort of information quite regularly from people asking to register Volvo trucks of that sort of era. See link below to the Winget website.

https://www.winget.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

Neil. (v1230nm)

Return to “Fork Lifts”