Citadel paints.

Tips and tricks, tools and paint

Topic author
niner

Citadel paints.

Post #1 by niner » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:50 pm

I've been using Citadel paints from Games workshop for a few jobs on my models. They are waterbased so good for wiping up or washing off if you get it wrong!

I use them for the smaller details, light clusters and so on. I have also found the black to be good for filling in moulded engine bay vents, you can paint it in and wipe off the excess leaving the inner vent dark.

They are well worth trying for the smaller paint details. I will post some pics up of what i have done with the paint later.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Citadel paints.

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Tamiya also make a very good acrylic paint (water based) but I tend to prefer the Humbrol enamels myself although these are for the very few plastic kits that I build from time to time.

When it comes to weathering or other effects it's good to water down the paint that you intend to use for the particular effect be it water based or enamel paints.

To be fair my brother has used acrylic paint to good effect although I am not a fan myself, one important thing here to note for all modellers and that is don't try applying enamel paint on acrylic as it bubbles and destroys the acrylic paint. :think:

Jeremy

ron54
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by ron54 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:05 pm

whilst on the subject of model painting,can anybody suggest a good match for 1950's caterpillar yellow?,preferably halfords rattle/spray type.would it need to be a full gloss or a semi-gloss finish?.thanks,phill

Topic author
niner

Post #4 by niner » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Phill, I'm sorry I wouldnt have a clue but someone might be along who does.

On the Citadel paint subject I have bought a paint called NULN OIL. Its black and watery but good for things like engines where you paint it in (very watery) and it settles in the recesses and so on giving an oliy effect engine. The geek in games workshop showed me the effects and it looked good.

L.Kezz
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by L.Kezz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:45 pm

I must admit, I use a few Citadel Paints and Inks myself. Mainly black and brown, but also got some other colours and painted my Preiser figures in Hi-Vis and all that! Came off good too! I use something called Chaos Black I think it is to paint the hoses on my Cat 5110 and a silver colour for the hose connections. I'm on about doing it on my cat 330D as well. I use the Black Ink on both my RH's.To make the oil cooler vents more realistic and the engine vents on the back! It's good how such a small amount of added detail can make a model look so much better.
Cheers

L.Kezz

Return to “Tips and tricks, tools and paint”