Cat 992

Discuss wheel loaders here

SRB
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Cat 992

Post #11 by SRB » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:41 pm

Hello Niklas,

The new 992 K, is visually the same, main differences being the new C32 engine as appose to the 3508 and no High Lift arrangment for the K, the high lift 992 has been replaced by the 993, which is a new size class to fill the gap between the 992 and 994. (sort of)

Couple of 992G's in the yard at moment, bought these back from Glensanda. Got the boom off for a rework procedure on the top pin.

SB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who hingeth aboot, getteth hee-haw

CBR954

Post #12 by CBR954 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:26 am

I am lead to believe that another difference between the 992G and 992K is that the K's mono boom is a fabricated type with a different bottom pin/pins arrangement similar to the 988G/H.
Caterpillar may also offer the 992K high lift as an option i am told but it could be incorrect.

SRB

Post #13 by SRB » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:19 am

Yup, thats right, the boom still has cast end pieces but the bucket end is similar to the 988G, with 2 smaller pins rather than 1 large pin.
The pins are also Sleeve Bearing type design (similar to the track joints on the D11) with one pin and two bearings all sealed for life.

The main chassis frames are nearly identical to the former G, as is the transmission.

One optional fature of the 992K is an oil renewal system on the engine, which can lead to not having to do engine oil changes, it works by injecting engine oil into the fuel supply of the machine that will be burnt off in the normal combustion process, after injecting oil into the fuel line the system injects the same amount of clean engine oil into the sump to replace the oil burnt off, the ECM calculates how much oil to inject depending on the load on the engine or the amount of fuel being burnt. Clean oil is supplied from a make up oil tank with a 30 gallon capacity. You still need to change the oil filters every 500 hours but not the oil, as in theory it is constantly being replaced. :ugeek:

SB

CBR954

Post #14 by CBR954 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:38 pm

Oil renewal system? Why?
Is it just to cut down on service times?
Call me old fashioned but a full oil change is part of the correct routine service proceedure that Caterpillar has championed and deemed important along with SOS for years so to offer a total loss system with a top up oil tank reminds me of two stroke motorbikes!
There is something quite reassuring when a machine has been correctly serviced and had samples taken.
I also feel it could also be a nail in the coffin for skilled engineers and lead to real filter spinners! At the very least it could remove the take your brain out service work which can be boring when there is a run of them but very usefull (and good for the timesheet) when the head is heavy on a saturday morning!!
Do Finning still promote the extended oil option on larger machines?
Komatsu have never gone down the extended oil route but they dont have the large machine population in the UK as Caterpillar have but they have won some substantial orders from long time Caterpillar customers that have i understand made Finning and Caterpillar sit up a little. Healthy competition is always good i feel.

SRB

Post #15 by SRB » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:55 pm

Yes, the oil renewal system is designed to decrease service time, hence increasing machine up time, also there is no old oil to dispose of, so more enviromentaly friendly (suposedly), filters still need changing at 500 hour intervals.

As for pushing oil changes out, as long as you are sampling regular in theory you can run till the lab tells you to change. We run our fleet mostly on 500 hour oil changes, most new machines are on 500 hour service intervals.

SB

CBR954

Post #16 by CBR954 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:33 pm

SRB wrote:Couple more old 'uns,
Yeomans & Ambrose.

SB

992 A's. Yeomans machine could have been Tor works and the E W Ambrose machine??? any ideas anyone.

E W Ambrose were a Chesterfield based muckshifting contractor who are no longer around.
The founder Ted Ambrose passed away in around 1989/90 i think and the company was sold off a few years latter to Ruttle Plant. They ran the company down and it became i shadow of its former self. A bit of a shame really. None of Ambrose's original plant is in Ruttles fleet.
Ambrose ran 623's D9G & H's plus other models and breeds. Quite alot of their work was for the Tarmac sand and gravel quarrys stripping and also for British Gypsum around Newark.

Return to “Wheel Loaders”