snowploughing/snowremoval

Discuss wheel loaders here

Nick Drew

Re: snowploughing/snowremoval

Post #11 by Nick Drew » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:21 pm

Fantastic Alexander :thumbs_up:

Thanks for posting those wonderful photo's ;)

Looks so cold but also lovely and fresh :D

What is the lowest temperature in winter in Sweden??

Nick :mrgreen:

Robban_C

Post #12 by Robban_C » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:54 pm

Nick, the lowest temperatures depend on where you live in Sweden. It is a very long country from south to north. Actually, if you turn Sweden upside down "southways" it would reach to the southern parts of Europe, I think it would somewhere in Italy!

Where I live (west of Stockholm) the temperature nowadays might be around -10 to -20 centigrades but usually only for a few weeks each winter. Sometimes it might be -25 or even -30 centigrades but that is quite rare.
Alexander (bm1113) lives in the northern parts where it is colder. I do not think that temperatures below -30 centigrades is that common but in the range of -15 to -25 is probably quite regular. Alexander, am I right or wrong?

But this winter has been extremely warm, we have had colder than -5 only for a few days and almost every day the temperature has been over 0 centigrades. The weather has gone mad and it should be brought to a mental hospital. :mrgreen:
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Nick Drew

Post #13 by Nick Drew » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:02 pm

Robban_C wrote:Nick, the lowest temperatures depend on where you live in Sweden. It is a very long country from south to north. Actually, if you turn Sweden upside down "southways" it would reach to the southern parts of Europe, I think it would somewhere in Italy!

Where I live (west of Stockholm) the temperature nowadays might be around -10 to -20 centigrades but usually only for a few weeks each winter. Sometimes it might be -25 or even -30 centigrades but that is quite rare.
Alexander (bm1113) lives in the northern parts where it is colder. I do not think that temperatures below -30 centigrades is that common but in the range of -15 to -25 is probably quite regular. Alexander, am I right or wrong?

But this winter has been extremely warm, we have had colder than -5 only for a few days and almost every day the temperature has been over 0 centigrades. The weather has gone mad and it should be brought to a mental hospital. :mrgreen:

Ah Very interesting Robban :thumbs_up:

Yes the weather has gone mad all over the world :dizzy: We have not had a very cold winter in the UK for some time now and according to the "Experts" this is going to be the norm from now on :( Just seems to be wet & warm here these days :cry:

Nick :mrgreen:

Robban_C

Post #14 by Robban_C » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:10 pm

Nick Drew wrote:... Looks so cold but also lovely and fresh :D ...

It is very lovely if you get a real winter. A winter that is really cold and dry. The light becomes so nice when everything is burried in white snow. And look at the frost on the trees on Alexanders pictures! That is so nice!

And you should know that -20 centigrades can be very nice if it is not windy and if you are dressed for it.

You should also know that +3 usually feels much colder than -10 because at -10 there usually are not that much wind and the air becomes very dry. Compare that to +3, rain or fog and some wind. The later feels much colder.

Nick, you should take your vacation in Sweden next time, but make sure it is a real winter. A real winter is much better than Fuerteventura!
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Nick Drew

Post #15 by Nick Drew » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:21 pm

Ha ha Robban,

I would love to visit Sweden one day, but we do enjoy the scorching heat of Fuerteventura or even hotter :oops: Cyprus :D Both myself & Lorna are sunworshippers mainly because we simply do not see enough of it here :cry:

Nick :lol: :lol:

Topic author
BM1113
Flag: Sweden

Post #16 by BM1113 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:21 am

Yes, Robban, usually the temp is between 0 and -25 centigrades and even down to -30. Up the north it can be even colder but it only snows as long as it is warmer than -10. This time of year about then years ago (1998) we had -42 centigrades. They even had to drink water since the milk froze during transport.
Even here this winter has been "a lunatic". Only about half as many times to snow plough as usual. We have even had +10 centigrades. Real cold is getting rare but we have had -25 at least once this year.
The best there are is if it has been snowing all night and then when they start to plough the snow the weather is the same as on the pictures above.

I am satisfied as long as the temperature is below 0 centigrades and we have snow in winter.

Here is also a film about a Volvo FH12 snow ploughing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFSaTdi2svc

Oh yes, you should try a real winter Nick!

Robban_C

Post #17 by Robban_C » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:43 am

Nick Drew wrote:... Both myself & Lorna are sunworshippers ...

In the northern parts of Sweden the sun never sets for several months during summer. You can watch the sun even at midnight!
You and Lorna would love it. And the mosquitos would probably love you. :mrgreen:

And in case some readers are not that familiar with the term "centigrades":
Those -42 centigrades that Alexander talks about equals to -43 degrees of Fahrenheit. Well, that is cold even for me. :D
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Topic author
BM1113
Flag: Sweden

Post #18 by BM1113 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:50 pm

Hello,

here I have made a video showing the wintertime with snowremoval in northern Sweden 2007/2008, from November till May
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V2fC9-uLbM&fmt=18

Return to “Wheel Loaders”