Weatherill

Discuss wheel loaders here

john
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Weatherill

Post #301 by john » Thu May 18, 2017 12:04 pm

Hi Pete
The 2H wasn't to bad to operate when you think of what came before, Rope shovels! in its day the 2H was cutting edge technology

andycarlson

Post #302 by andycarlson » Thu May 18, 2017 2:21 pm

john wrote:Hi Andy I think it only had a buffer beam at the rear but retained it loader arms and bucket as shunting was a secondary job for the machine. Early shutters had frames to connect front and rear buffer beam because they were based on tractors and therefore only had light weight body panels which were to light to take the forces generated in shunting later machines were based on loading shovels which all had strong mainframes.

Cheers John. Sounds like you know a bit about this specific machine... or maybe I am reading too much into your answer? I'm not sure what use an oil depot would have had for a loading shovel TBH. The depot existed from the inter-war period and as far as I know they managed without a shovel until 1977.

I guess it could have been second hand in 1977 (or maybe a non-Weatherill conversion job even?) but it looks fairly pristine in the earlier photo.

Regards, Andy

essexpete

Post #303 by essexpete » Thu May 18, 2017 10:51 pm

John T is an ex FE Weatherill service man.
John I guess you are right about the early 2H but FEW did seem to run it on and overlap with other models such as the 12H and 22H.

andycarlson

Post #304 by andycarlson » Fri May 19, 2017 1:11 pm

On a slightly different tack I noticed a posting from John some way back up this thread suggesting that he had an L61 spec sheet.

Could I put in a polite request for some scans of that sheet when time permits please?

I'm planning to build a 1:152 scale model of a Weatherill machine and the L61 looks like a more practical option than some of the other possibilities... as well as being a fine looking machine IMHO

I suspect that the L61 also shares a cab with the early 42H which is handy because 42H spec sheet has a little line drawing. An L61 line drawing would be ideal to get the proportions of the rest of the vehicle right but I suspect that nothing like this has survived.

Regards, Andy

john

Post #305 by john » Fri May 19, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi Andy I have PM'd you, although the cabs looked the same they where different. another machine that might be of interest for modelling is the L64 I will send you details of that one as well

john

Post #306 by john » Fri May 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi Pete The 2H gave the High Tip version that was required to load high hoppers. Did I send you the DVD of the 2H at work? That showed some HiTips at work

essexpete

Post #307 by essexpete » Sat May 20, 2017 4:00 pm

John yes you sent me that ages ago, areal gem also got the 8H in action. I wonder if you could get it on to youtube?

andycarlson

Post #308 by andycarlson » Sun May 21, 2017 8:43 pm

A couple of images that I came across while looking at the 4wd vehicles which didn't quite fit with the main suspects...

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Imv208-p650.jpg - an early L62 without a cab maybe? or something else?

http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Weatheri ... l_4X4.jpeg - at first sight it looks like an L61 but the hydraulic rams don't attach in the usual place and the cab windows and bonnet vents are different too.

Regards, Andy

Baggerfritz
Flag: Austria

Post #309 by Baggerfritz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi everyone!

Long ago, since I took a look to this forum...

I was at my Weatherill 2 weeks ago, so I thought, I should post a few answers/infos... ;)

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Many thanks Fritz for sharing the photos of your shovel :thumbup: I assume that you are going to fully restore it? Many old machines manage to survive in remarkably good condition considering their age; the trusty Ford motor is also a great engine, usually very reliable and good starters to boot.

Yes, the plan is to fully restore it! But that's a long way from now... :shock:
As you said, the Ford motor is in very good condition, starts very well and runs smooth!

essexpete wrote:Great to see! Was the age established I can't remember? It must be fairly early by the engine. Why did you remove the weight?

We removed the counterweight for two reasons: First, it was a bit crooked and second, it was much easier to remove a lot of dirt on it and on the bottom of the machine with the counterweight off the loader. I also spent new screws for holding the counterweight, the old ones weren't that good anymore.

One more question: Does anybody know the type of this alternator? Seems, it doesn't load the batterys anymore... :( Will need a new one.
Original URL: http://up.picr.de/29432984uu.jpg

Original URL: http://up.picr.de/29432985dp.jpg

For all of you two current pictures:
Here is the type plate, maybe some of you have a use for it... :thumbup:
Original URL: http://up.picr.de/29432983wo.jpg

And here the loader itself, 2 weeks ago:
Original URL: http://up.picr.de/29432986un.jpg

:wave:
Best regards from Austria,
Fritz
------------------------------------------------------------
Visit our Forum: www.schwerlastaustria.at
Visit my YouTube-Channel: www.youtube.com/user/baggerfritz

essexpete

Post #310 by essexpete » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:29 pm

It looks good to me Fritz. What is all the crap around the lift ram gland? It ought to be fairly easy to source an alternator.

Return to “Wheel Loaders”