Authentic old front end loader ---- steered

Discuss wheel loaders here

Topic author
rvannatta

Authentic old front end loader ---- steered

Post #1 by rvannatta » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:34 am

What follows is a typical example of a steered front end loader which was common before the idea of the articulated frame became popular. the first Cat 966s were steered, and this is an Allis Chalmers TL6 which is a 3 yard competitor
to the steered Cat 966. Its shown here with pallet forks, but we have a 3 yard bucket for it as well. It dates to around 1963. We still use it on a regular basis. Getting in the thing is a bit interesting (you do it from the other side that doesnt look much different than this side except for a ladder. I think the cab was sort of an after thought. Anyhow you get
in the the by climbing through the side window. It has no door. If the loader arms are up they block the window and you cant get out at all. it is rear wheel steered.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ross

Re: Authentic old front end loader ---- steered

Post #2 by Ross » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:06 pm

Great pics of an old Loader. 8-)
Anyhow you get
in the the by climbing through the side window.

Ha ha well over come and adapt. Better than getting a good soaking during the rainey season.

Ross

Topic author
rvannatta

Post #3 by rvannatta » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:14 pm

Ross wrote:Great pics of an old Loader. 8-)
Anyhow you get
in the the by climbing through the side window.

Ha ha well over come and adapt. Better than getting a good soaking during the rainey season.

Ross

We bought a string of 5 of these in Vancouver British Colulmbia where they had been used on the port dock there. We still have 2 of them --- one with log forks, and this one usually has a bucket on it, but we change it around as we need to.
shortly after I took this photo last year, we bought a forklift so dont expect to have the forklift teeth on it very often.
It really doesnt work well as a fork lift mostly because you cant see what you are doing. the last thing they had done in the vancouver port dock was that they had rail car hitches on the front of them and they used them for locomotives spotting rail cars for unloading. the weather is plenty soggy in Vancouver.

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #4 by Holger » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:00 pm

They look a little bit like the Swedish "Volvo BM Baklastare":
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some resources:
How-To

Nick Drew

Post #5 by Nick Drew » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:02 pm

Holger wrote:They look a little bit like the Swedish "Volvo BM Baklastare":

Yes Holger,

I came across this old example in an old plant yard in Somerset England

Nick

Lars-Gunnar
Flag: Sweden

Post #6 by Lars-Gunnar » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:26 am

The photo as Robert has posted reminds me of a machine similar but I can´t say if it was a Clark or Mishigan, I saw it in the North of Sweden and it had no cabine and was used for load gravel on trucks.

Lars-Gunnar :D
AMD computers and Volvo trucks is best

Topic author
rvannatta

Post #7 by rvannatta » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:39 am

Lars-Gunnar wrote:The photo as Robert has posted reminds me of a machine similar but I can´t say if it was a Clark or Mishigan, I saw it in the North of Sweden and it had no cabine and was used for load gravel on trucks.

Lars-Gunnar :D

That is an easy choice Michigan was a Clark name. if so it would likely have had a Detroit Diesel engine in it.

Old Houghs used Hercules.

Allis chalmers simply used the engine they put in their dozers which after theby bought Buda engine was derived from
them. Before 1953 or so Allischalmers used 2 cycle Detroit Diesels in everything as they didnt make their own engines.

It was really one of the bad things about their old dozers---The Detroit was a good engine, but not for a dozer.
Its torque curve was wrong.

Return to “Wheel Loaders”