dresser 970c

Discuss wheel loaders here

Topic author
spannermannottingham
Flag: Great Britain

dresser 970c

Post #1 by spannermannottingham » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:23 pm

i have just read the input from neil milward from saville tractors. in this he mentions parts arriving for a dresser 970c. this was sent to ratcliffe power station nr nottingham.i started at saville tractors at attenbough (nottingham) as a fitter in 1988 just as this was put into service. through the years i ,and fitters from both attenborough and bearley depots looked after it.we have worked on this machine many a time through night to get it ready for the day shift. this dresser did work a 24 hr shift . in my time with it i have had both diffs out of it several times, it has twice had full overalls of all hydraulic system , once at bearley and once at ratcliffe station with me and my mate from coventry working 12 hr days for about 6 wks to strip off all rams, brakes , cummins engine out and zf transmission. and then reassemble. around christmas time the senior engineer at the station insisted the engine must go to cummins i think at leeds and the tranmission to zf at nottingham for overall. why at that time of year when demand for power was high i dont know. although it was a wheeled machine it did have a blade fitted that was nearly as big as a goal mouth . with a wet weight of about 100ton just to get each 5 ton wheel off and supported off the ground needed some careful planning.although i was with saville tractors for nearley 20 yrs (starting with hymac, international tracairs, through to moxy and finishing with case i am not sure when the dresser 970 was took out of service, but i did speak to someone years later at the power station who said he was involved in the dismantle and scrapping of the beast. happy days. john riches.

v1230nm

Re: dresser 970c

Post #2 by v1230nm » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:41 pm

Hi John.

Good to hear from someone with first hand experience of this monster. Do you have any photos of it you could post?

Thanks.

Neil. (1230nm)

v1230nm

Re: dresser 970c

Post #3 by v1230nm » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:51 pm

Hi.

Here is a picture of the 970 fully assembled at Saville's premises at Bearley taken in March 1988.

Neil. (1230nm)

Return to “Wheel Loaders”