Rod grinder needed

Discuss workshop equipment here

Topic author
rostetter

Rod grinder needed

Post #1 by rostetter » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:49 am

Looking to buy a engine rod journal grinding set up that works with the engine installed. Had one back in the 50's , have not seen one in a long-long time. Have a bad crank in my JD 2010 and do not want to pull the engine. gary .cell # 517 392 24339 ( michigan)

shirtbox2003

Re: Rod grinder needed

Post #2 by shirtbox2003 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:40 pm

if you found one it would be a waste of money.only way to do a crank is to take it out of the engine.rip the whole lump out and do a right job.

Old Doug

Post #3 by Old Doug » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:55 pm

I would like to see one i have heard about them but never saw one. A older buddy told me about a Dozer that spun a bearing and they used one on it. It was a long ways from any thing so they used fence wire to run electricity to it.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #4 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:21 pm

Hi,
Watts of Lydney who were Leyland/Albion dealers in the 50s /60s used to run a van kitted out with this gear.
They would re-grind a journal in a lay-by at the side of the road if required.
I never saw the gear working nor heard of anything like it since.
Fred

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by modelman093 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:39 am

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi,
Watts of Lydney who were Leyland/Albion dealers in the 50s /60s used to run a van kitted out with this gear.
Fred

I suppose that "engine hygiene" was not such an issue in those days but one wonders about the amount of swarf or grinding dust that was created and where it all fetched up?

Stormin

Post #6 by Stormin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:23 pm

modelman093 wrote:
Fred

I suppose that "engine hygiene" was not such an issue in those days but one wonders about the amount of swarf or grinding dust that was created and where it all fetched up?

It's not unheard of to use insitu grinding these days on large engines that would otherwise be too expensive to strip down. You can always use flood coolant to minimise the grinding dust and a good clean down afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdHGXZy1WUk&feature=related

bigkit

Post #7 by bigkit » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:59 pm

:wtf: you learn something new everyday! :dizzy:

modelman093

Post #8 by modelman093 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:04 pm

Stormin wrote:
modelman093 wrote:
Fred

It's not unheard of to use insitu grinding these days on large engines that would otherwise be too expensive to strip down. You can always use flood coolant to minimise the grinding dust and a good clean down afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdHGXZy1WUk&feature=related

Presume on big marine engines etc?

chainmaker

Post #9 by chainmaker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:48 pm

I used to use a bloke named bill lee from bradford way he has probably retired now but his son was going to carry on need to find my old phone book and will give his number.His set up was ex US army and very good the grinder hung on the big end on a sort of G clamp affair with rollers at the top and a micrometer adjustment at the bottom he used to radius the corners of the stones to get the crank corner radius, obviously you had to remove the sump and head, on multi head engines just the one on the offending cylinder take injectors out of others. put the truck in top gear jack the back wheel up and he had a powered roller set up with a long lead when he pressed the button the rollers turned the engine an excellent job and saved many hours of work on ERF 8 wheelers you had to drop the front axle, you could have the truck back on the road in less then 2 days anyone who has ever removed a cummins engine from an 8 wheel tanker will know how much time was saved let alone the crank removal grinding dust wasn't a big problem just wash with plenty of parafin
brgds ron

KWDLDK

Post #10 by KWDLDK » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:57 pm

I served my time in the S-O-T area, over thirty years ago, and there was a couple of skins that would come too the workshop as required to do crankshaft grinding in situation and press liners in and bore out to size

Return to “Workshop equipment/tools”