Track renewals

Discuss rail plant equipment in this forum.

Topic author
martyn williams

Track renewals

Post #1 by martyn williams » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:14 pm

I was out on a job at Wareham today where all the track is being renewed.My mate. Bob Masterman filmed this in west Wales.Looks like I will be working Christmas day as there are a lot of Network rail jobs being done in my area.
[video]http://youtu.be/5IPkR3LC048[/video]

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Track renewals

Post #2 by topkit » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Interesting bit of video there, i brought a few memories back of sitting on spoil an ballast trains back in the 80's, on the Southern region we always had Three or four of Gamble's Hymac 580C machines to remove all of the spoil and load it into usually 30-OS wagons, The old track was unbolted and lifted away in sections by a twin arm crane and loaded onto flat wagons, Then the first load of ballast was usually 20 Grampus wagons off the fine ballast for the base, then the crane would return back and unload the new concrete sleeper sections after that the ballast train would come in with the 10 or 12 big sea-lion ballast wagons which would pass over the new track with chutes open then it was just the levelling off with the ballast and the tamper and lining machine would do its bit. The CWR was then put in on another night. Some of the way that it's done nowadays seems more time consuming than when we did it way back then in the 80's especially where they are unloading ballast by machine which seems long winded compared to using the hopper wagons. I wish i had filmed the weekend work now!

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:21 pm

There are some ballast hoppers around on a fef jobs,the older hopper wagons discharged their loads,stone was then ploughed in with a "shark " brake van.The job I was on yesterday was moving pretty fast but not so smooth as in the past. And yes,it does seem long winded these days. :dizzy:
Points are now built up off ste and transported on special wagons and loaded at an angle and not flat on the wagon to remain within loading gauge of trains.
Martyn
[video]http://youtu.be/uUPCLWMBWS8[/video]

lynchy

Post #4 by lynchy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:41 pm

These are the trailers for carrying switch's/points,'in gauge' waiting to be loaded.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Rail Plant Equipment”