Rail plant

Discuss rail plant equipment in this forum.

Topic author
martyn williams

Rail plant

Post #1 by martyn williams » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm

I would like to start this section off with a seasonal machine,the leaf busting train known as the RHTT,RAIL HEAD TREATMENT TRAIN.
This train blasts the rail with a very high pressure water jet,its pressure is so high it can cut steel if kept in one place.This cleans the track which is then sprayed with a sticky goo caled sandite.This helps adhession of trains as they have metal wheel to rail head contact.Preventing wheelslip.
These trains operate throughout the UK and are operated by DBS railways.Our train runs from Bristol and does all the Cardiff lines and up to Abergavenny.Its out from 1000 till 18 00 every day.Then back out for the same route again at 2000
Its power unit is a Volvo Penta 6 cyl engine and two Hatz generators to supply the electricity for lights and sandite pumps. And has 3 huge water tanks.
Its hauled by two 3300 hp diesel locomotives.
Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wxmman

Re: Rail plant

Post #2 by wxmman » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:56 pm

Passed the one on the north Wales coast line this afternoon - 66101 & 105 in charge.
Nothing runs like a Deere, - being chased by a big Cat..........

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:11 pm

Thanks for posting Martyn but I must confess that famous quote about leaves on the line and the other one about the "wrong type of snow" will only ever serve to put a smile on my face. :lol:
Good old British Rail always guarenteed genuine entertainment even if the train was late due to leaves on the line :D

Jeremy

ryanrailengineer

Post #4 by ryanrailengineer » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:12 am

I have been working at princes risborough on the works to speed up the chiltern line and was in a meeting on Tuesday for the briefing on the works needed to be complete on Friday 5th November through the weekend and saw the track head cleaning train go past. :)
Readypower Watford

STATION CAR PARK
KINGS LANGLEY
WATFORD
HERTS
WD4 8LF

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by Neversweat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:42 pm

:wave:

imgp0069ju1.jpg

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neversweat

Post #6 by Neversweat » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:23 am

I originally put these on the Dozer thread................

Raildozer 001.jpg

Raildozer 002.jpg

Raildozer 003.jpg

I'm probably going to look an idiot but how does this line up with the rail tracks without damaging them ??

Steve

Nick Drew

Post #7 by Nick Drew » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:31 am

Hi Steve, :D

In most instances the machines are put on at a suitable access point like level crossings etc, failing that they are put on at a point where a temporary ramp has been put in place. :thumbup:

I have also seem them use rubber mats for protection on some of the jobs I worked on when I was doing the rail stuff.

Nick :thumbup:

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:19 pm

I was watching a Komatsu 41 on a job.The tracks are not in contact with the rail head.the machine is propelled by hydraulic motors on a "ripper" type frame ar the rear of the machine. the front have un drivern wheels by the dozer bladeI have seen one doing over 5 mph.Rubber mats,sleepers/packing and also ballast protects the rail when mounting the track.

ryanrailengineer

Rail plant

Post #9 by ryanrailengineer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:48 pm

As you can see from this picture there is a special rail wheel attachment then is put on the dozer blade when transported
Readypower Watford

STATION CAR PARK
KINGS LANGLEY
WATFORD
HERTS
WD4 8LF

topkit

Post #10 by topkit » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:47 am

Blimey times have changed since i worked on the railways when it came to replacing track, removing spoil and laying new sections of track you normally got 3 x Hymac 580c loading what we called os wagons the we would take them away on Lowmac wagons. Our Sandite trains were old converted 2 car electric units that we towed around with either class 33 or class73 EDL'S Leaves on the line may sound funny but believe me when you go to put the brakes on a train and the wheels picked up you had no option but to take the brakes back of and try again and again and hope you could stop in the station and when it came to climing gradients you could soon burn out traction motors the drivers of some of the new trains don't know that they have been born!! I look at some of the new trains now and they don't interest me like the stuff from 15-20 years ago.

Return to “Rail Plant Equipment”