Rail plant

Discuss rail plant equipment in this forum.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Rail plant

Post #31 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun May 22, 2011 9:34 am

Nice pics Steve, they may be working it later this morning as they tend to do a lot of rail working on Sundays to reduce passenger delays on the normal timetable. I had a good talk with your brother Graham yesterday at the Link AGM :thumbup: its always nice to meet up with CMN members and indeed with all who I met there yesterday. :D

Jeremy

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Post #32 by Neversweat » Sun May 22, 2011 9:49 am

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Nice pics Steve, they may be working it later this morning as they tend to do a lot of rail working on Sundays to reduce passenger delays on the normal timetable. I had a good talk with your brother Graham yesterday at the Link AGM :thumbup: its always nice to meet up with CMN members and indeed with all who I met there yesterday. :D Jeremy

Crikey he had a day off :o - Didn't start shaking and sweating halfway through did he :lol: - :thumbup:

Steve

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #33 by martyn williams » Sun May 22, 2011 10:55 am

Ufton Nervet,there was a major crash at that location a few yers back. :(
Martyn

Crash report

All eight carriages left the tracks in the accident
The Berkshire rail crash has been described as a "tragic accident" by the government after a report found no fault with rail equipment or staff.
Transport Secretary Alistair Darling said "we owe it to those who were involved" to find out what happened.

Interim findings from the Health and Safety Executive said the train driver had just a few seconds to brake before it hit a car on a level crossing.

Seven people were killed in the crash, near Ufton Nervet, on Saturday evening.

READ THE HSE REPORT

Health & Safety Executive interim report (80KB)
Most computers will open this document automatically, but you may need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Download the reader here

Key points from the report

The report said early signs suggested car driver Brian Drysdale made "no attempt" to move his car from the level crossing as the train approached.

An inquest into the deaths of all the victims was opened and adjourned at Reading Coroner's Court on Wednesday.

The coroner heard brief accounts of the causes of each of the victims' deaths.

Det Supt Eamonn Carroll, leading the investigation for the British Transport Police, then told the court how Mr Drysdale was fully clothed with his seat belt on at the time of the accident.

Following the high-speed crash, "he came out of the car, and the force that was involved, with his seatbelt on, has caused disruption to clothing," said Mr Carroll.

The inquest also heard that Mr Drysdale was not drunk and had not taken drugs at the time of the crash.

How dangerous are level crossings?

In detail

The eight-carriage train ploughed into his car at high speed at 1812 GMT, resulting in his death, train driver Stanley Martin's and five of the train's passengers.

The HSE report said 37 of the approximately 180 passengers and four staff on board were taken to hospital.

Mr Martin was travelling at the permitted speed and the level crossing was in full working order, the report stated.

Although the front train wheels derailed immediately the train stayed upright. But when the train passed over a set of points further down the line every carriage came off the tracks.

The front of the First Great Western train ploughed into the embankment, while the rear power car on the train continued to propel the train forward, investigators found.

Announcing the report to the House of Commons, Mr Darling said: "I would like especially to praise the work of the Thames Valley emergency services."

RAIL CRASH VICTIMS
Train driver Stanley Martin, 54, from Torquay
Anjanette Rossi, 38, of Speen, Berkshire
Ms Rossi's daughter Louella Main, 9
Emily Webster, 14, from Moretonhampstead, Devon
Barry Strevens, 55, from Wells, Somerset
Leslie Charles Matthews (Charlie), 72, from Warminster
Brian Drysdale, 39, from Reading

Mystery of rail tragedy car driver
Tributes paid to rail crash dead

If there are wider safety lessons to be learned, then the rail industry and government will pursue them, he said.

Train drivers' union Aslef welcomed the speedy publication of the report, saying it strengthened the union's calls for more safety measures at level crossings.

The father of victim Emily Webster, 14, has called for seat belts in high speed trains.

Work to clear the wreckage from the accident site began on Monday night and is expected to last two or three days.

Police are still looking into why Mr Drysdale's car was stopped on the crossing, and have not ruled out suicide.

The HSE inquiry and police investigations are continuing.

Thames Valley Police wants all passengers who were on the train but did not attend hospital to contact them on 0870 0100732 between 0800 GMT and midnight so they can be checked off against the list of passengers.

Our breakdown gang attended that incident.
Martyn

Neversweat

Post #34 by Neversweat » Sun May 22, 2011 1:47 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:Ufton Nervet,there was a major crash at that location a few yers back. Martyn

Just up the road from me at Theale Martyn :( - We heard the noise from our back garden :(

Steve

Neversweat

Post #35 by Neversweat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:03 pm

:wave:

41957210.jpg

Steve :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DROTTB100

Post #36 by DROTTB100 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:11 am

topkit wrote:Blimey times have changed since i worked on the railways when it came to replacing track, removing spoil and laying new sections of track you normally got 3 x Hymac 580c loading what we called os wagons the we would take them away on Lowmac wagons. Our Sandite trains were old converted 2 car electric units that we towed around with either class 33 or class73 EDL'S Leaves on the line may sound funny but believe me when you go to put the brakes on a train and the wheels picked up you had no option but to take the brakes back of and try again and again and hope you could stop in the station and when it came to climing gradients you could soon burn out traction motors the drivers of some of the new trains don't know that they have been born!! I look at some of the new trains now and they don't interest me like the stuff from 15-20 years ago.

Just for you Topkit, see below, Hymacs and Grampus wagons. :)
scan0002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Rail Plant Equipment”