Hunslett shunter

Discuss rail plant equipment in this forum.

Topic author
mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Hunslett shunter

Post #1 by mechman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi all.
Was asked to have a go at getting this running. It's was made by Hunslett about 1961, It's believed to be the only one of its kind (small Dorman 4 cyl)left. Water pump, core plug and smashed fuel filter on todays medical, the motor isn't seized though. I'll see what else later. Oh by the way that Winget dumper is still on going.
Norm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
mechman

Re: Hunslett shunter

Post #2 by mechman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:10 pm

Forgot to mention the loco is driven from out side the cab. the driver stands on the running boards (on either side) and controls the loco by controls (Duel) just inside the cab door.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:27 am

mechman wrote:Hi all.
Was asked to have a go at getting this running. It's was made by Hunslett about 1961, It's believed to be the only one of its kind (small Dorman 4 cyl)left. Water pump, core plug and smashed fuel filter on todays medical, the motor isn't seized though. I'll see what else later. Oh by the way that Winget dumper is still on going.
Norm

That sounds like it's not the hardest of jobs to fix Norman let us all know how you get on with it. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
mechman

Post #4 by mechman » Tue May 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Took some pics of the Hunslet topless today, one of the pics you'll notice the fuel filter with the snapped centre bolt, one of the lads is knocking a new one up, Its a bit special with a 3/8" BSF thread with a 7/16" BSW head, 4" long with a circlip groove in it. the filter is a Purolator.
Norm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed May 02, 2018 7:06 am

Nice one Norman :thumbup: yes the easier solution to the snapped filter bolt is to either make a new one or replace the whole unit with a more modern filter.

Jeremy

Topic author
mechman

Post #6 by mechman » Thu May 03, 2018 9:04 pm

I would normally swop it out but the fuel pipes have large nuts on them and the ends of the pipes have those brazed on type fittings, it's not going anywhere soon so I'll carry on with the water system. The loco doesn't have any gears just forward and reverse, it has what looks like a torque converter or fluid fly wheel on the box so I'm surmising that It's shut throttle, brake, change direction, open throttle or something of that Ilk. Plenty of time for that later.

Topic author
mechman

Post #7 by mechman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:52 pm

The latest on the Hunslet
Fixed the fuel filter to find no fuel getting through so blew the lines out, the, main one was blocked solid, next was bleed the 2 fuel filters on the engine block to find the first filter housing bleed screw was only held in with PTFE tape. removed the housing and the threads were gone completely so tapped out to 3/8 BSF, boxed it all up today to find the old battery they gave me was duff so they (railway) gave me another one, duff as well, both batteries were Yuesa and both 8 years old, so it was coat on time today and see what happens in the next episode. The 2 gauges show the miles covered and the hours.

Topic author
mechman

Post #8 by mechman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:11 am

Just discovered it has 2 speed forward and reverse, so I'd guess slow and very slow .

Jeremy Rowland

Post #9 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:23 am

Good going Norman :claphands: must say I'm not struck on Yuasa as a make of battery they are Yuasa-less in my opinion, not a good brand never done much good with them as motorbike batteries.

Jeremy

Topic author
mechman

Post #10 by mechman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:01 pm

The engine is a Dorman 4LB. The info I've managed to find on it is, 4 Cyl , just under 6.4 Ltr, 74 BHP at 1800 REVS. It's a fair size lump, so does any one know what size battery should be used on it, amp hours or whatever? It's a 12 volt system and it looks a though it's only had 1 battery on it.
Norm. :?

Return to “Rail Plant Equipment”