Caterpillar's purchase of Bucyrus

Topic author
argie
Flag: Wales

Caterpillar's purchase of Bucyrus

Post #1 by argie » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:16 pm

Looks like the deal is signed and sealed now.
The new website shows what the ex Bucyrus machines will look like in Cat yellow

https://mining.cat.com/cda/layout?m=434859&x=7 :o

Paul

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Caterpillar's purchase of Bucyrus

Post #2 by Martyn Henley » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:27 pm

The walking draglines look really strange all yellow .. :think: perhaps too much yellow.

thanks for showing the link Paul :thumbup:

Martyn

Joes1989

Post #3 by Joes1989 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:42 am

They look crap! They should have kept the RH insignia aswell the Cat 6030 doesnt sound right!

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:01 am

Hmm its always a shame to see old companies loose their established identity when they are taken over, what a shame :think:

Jeremy

L.Kezz

Post #5 by L.Kezz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:12 am

When Terex took over O&K they still kept the RH insignia, just put terex on the machines too and changed them to the colour of white which wasn't too bad. Now they're Cat yellow and they look worse...something as big as those, including draglines and rope shovels, in my opinion just don't look right and won't on sites. They're just simply too big. I think it's nice to see different colours on sites, like Liebherr loading cat trucks, now, it's going to be just, yellow here, yellow there, yellow every bloody where. There's just too much yellow now.
Cheers

L.Kezz

Joes1989

Post #6 by Joes1989 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:15 am

Yeh it sure is......i had a feeling that they wouldnt take the RH name through with them.....Like ive just been saying to L.Kezz RH was possibly the most recognised name in the modern day surface mining scene and now its been replaced with the crappy 6030 design....It wouldnt surpirse me if cat start to tinker with them now trying to make them better.....They shouldnt mess with a tried and tested product but i really think they will......

L.Kezz

Post #7 by L.Kezz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:28 am

Yeah I know, the RH's were engineered for the future, they were the best machines around at the time of their release and they still are, structurally and performance wise, engineered for power and strentgh with such precision. Still a top machine even with Liebherr and Komatsu making their way up in the market for the mining industry. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Cat's 5000 series fail due to undercarriage problems? If Cat tinker with anything as big as that, they could lose one of the best machines in history and the most important of all money, customers will just look elsewhere, like towards Liebherr and Komatsu.
Cheers

L.Kezz

Joes1989

Post #8 by Joes1989 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:33 am

I think cats 5000 series failed because the undercarriage and slew assemblys were prone to failing.....i myself have seen a lot of pics showing the 5130 excavator especially snapped in two due to slew ring failure!

Joes1989

Post #9 by Joes1989 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:40 am

imagesCALYRLRH.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
argie
Flag: Wales

Post #10 by argie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:35 pm

Cat's 5000 series failed because they were not matched correctly to truck sizes, poor reliability and better products from Demag and O&K.
There is a consensus that Cat were slow to react when O&K sold to Terex and then to Bucyrus and should have been the initial purchaser to push a total mining range to their clients.
As for the future of the products I think Cat will not mess too much with the mining shovel range as they have a good reputation. Cat engines have been offered, and taken, on many RH series excavators for many years now and I can presume that they will be the preffered option given to purchasers which makes sense when you run a Cat truck fleet to have commonality of engines across the range.
Yes, the colour is not the greatest but remember these are photoshopped images, we'll have to see what the real ones are like! :think:
Paul

Return to “Mining equipment”