Lomount Marion 195M dragline?

Topic author
Mark Williams

Lomount Marion 195M dragline?

Post #1 by Mark Williams » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:09 am

Hello,
Can anyone supply some information on the above dragline that worked on the Tanners-Hall,Tow Law opencast site in County Durham in 1986.Lomount (Mowlem) also had an opencast working @ Langley, Chester Le Street @ the same time.
I have recently seen a photo on Tracshovels page on FlickR of a yellow & black Marion 195M dragline.It says that it was working @ the Lambhill opencast site NR Fife in Scotland.These 2 sites were worked by Coal Contractors in 1986 & then by Crouch Mining in the early 90s.I am wondering whether this was the Lomount dragline which may have been sold to the last 2 companies,as no record of Lomount using the 195M after Tanners-Hall.
If anyone can assist with the mystery,it would be appreciated.
Regards,
Mark Williams.

seawalker05
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Lomount Marion 195M dragline?

Post #2 by seawalker05 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:33 pm

I know a lot about this machine as was plant manager during purchase and running for about ten years at Tanners Hall. It went to Lambhill in Scotland for Coal Contractors and ended up in South Africa. Lomount bought it new in 1980, they were then bought by Contractors Services Group who were bought by Mowlem Mining, then by Coal Contractors in about 1986. A very nice machine. I've a few photos somewhere. Marion erection engineer was Mel King, their UK office run by Harry Webb.

Topic author
Mark Williams

Re: Lomount Marion 195M dragline?

Post #3 by Mark Williams » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:05 am

Hello Seawalker05,
I would be interested to know some history about the plant used on the Tannners Hall sites by Lomount & Coal Contractors, in particular the draglines, navvys & haul-trucks.
Do you happen to know if the Marion 195M was sold to McAlpine in South Africa, or thier parent company ,Glencore coal @ thier Optimum coal mine?
Ill add to this post later.
thanks in advance,
Mark Williams.

Return to “Mining equipment”