Cat HMS factory Dortmund

Topic author
SRB
Flag: Great Britain

Cat HMS factory Dortmund

Post #1 by SRB » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:55 pm

Thought I would share a few pic's from the Dortmund factory I was lucky enough to visit earlier this year.

Excavators from the 6015 (rh40) thru to 6090 (rh400) are manufactured here. The factory covers a total area of 76,200 m² with around 33,500 m² being under roof. Around 740 people are employed there.

Fabrication, assembly, painting and testing are all carried out here, with only the 6015 leaving in a recognizable form. All other machines leave in component form, for example: a 6060 FS (RH340) requires 22 trailers to ship.

Enjoy.

SB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who hingeth aboot, getteth hee-haw

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Cat HMS factory Dortmund

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:55 pm

Many thanks for sharing Stuart :bow: :thumbup: all good stuff. The former O&K factory I wonder what happened to their other product lines? I can only assume that they were separate companies; they once made and I think they still do, escalators and also railway wagons.

Jeremy

Shovelman

Re: Cat HMS factory Dortmund

Post #3 by Shovelman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:18 pm

Stuart,

Thanks for the great photos! I took a tour there in 1990 when things were still red and off-white, but no photos were permitted at that time.

Jeremy,

O&K had at least five manufacturing plants in Germany, and more in other countries.

The rail stock division went to Bombardier and is still operating in Berlin.

The escalator/elevator division was taken over by Krupp.

Return to “Mining equipment”