Shand Mining East-Pit & Park-Slip O.C.C.S?

Topic author
Mark Williams

Shand Mining East-Pit & Park-Slip O.C.C.S?

Post #1 by Mark Williams » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:50 am

Hello Everyone,
As I have posted on this forum in the past,I was lucky to spend time on this site,as a school boy & later on as a fitter.
I had the pleasure of going to work with Dai (mouse) Lewis,the Foreman fitter on Saturday mornings.
I went to site regular from the very start of the contract.
There was an RB195B,2 x RB150s, 2 x new Poclain 1000CKB front shovels.Shand bought 8 new Caterpillar 777 (84A) trucks & there were Terex R50s & R45s there also.On hire to Shand, was Lew Gravelle Plant Hire,with Terex R50s & Terex R45s,along with 2 x early Caterpillar 16 graders & if I remember 3 Caterpillar D8Hs.
The coaling machines @ first were 2 x new Caterpillar 235 front shovels,but they were soon removed to the Shand Ffyndaff site & their new Poclain 160CKB coal shovels came to East-Pit ?
I can remember there was a break between the contacts @ Ffyndaff & the Poclain 1000CK backactor was transfered to the East-Pit site & 4 x Terex 33-11D trucks followed from there also.
The RB195B was soon moved from East-Pit & I am not sure,but I think it went to the Park-Slip site for a short while.It was then moved to the Coalfield North site,up @ Leicestershire.
Not long after the RB195B left,Shand bought the first Demag 185 backactor to come into the country.They also added 2 x new Caterpillar 777 trucks,making them 10 on site.
The Poclain 1000CK backactor,the 2 x RB 150s left site,which I don't now where they went to & the Terex 33-11Ds went back to the Ffyndaff site.
Across the East-Pit,Parkinson Pengosto coalsite void @ the start of the contract,Johnny Locke was busy with his fleet of Euclid & Terex TS 24 motor scrapers.I can remember his Caterpillar D9G & D9H & D8H dozers,as well as some Komatsu 155s,back filling the Pengosto site.
The East-Pit site started in 1980,where Shand Mining was awarded the contract by British coal off the previous contractor on site,which was Fairclough Parkinson Mining.Shand Mining then lost the contract in the late 80s to RJB Mining.Its is still being worked today by Celtic Energy.
I only went to the Park-Slip site on 1 occasion,this site was a long term contract for Shand Mining & 2 x RB150s along with later on as I have said the RB195B from East-Pit.Terex R50s & R45s were the long time trucks used.Later, a Demag 95 backactor was relocated there from Ffyndaff.
Lew Gravelle plant hire had his Caterpillar D8Hs & Caterpillar 16 graders on hire there & McDonald transport had some Haulamatic dump trucks with big coal bodies on hire on site also.
Shand Mining finished their contract @ Park-Slip & the new found Celtic Energy worked the new site into the early 2000s.
Shand Mining kept their plant in excellent condition & I am told that most of the Plant from East-Pit & Park-Slip was transfered, where needed to Ffyndaff,Coalfield North & Damside,in Scotland.
I can remember,whilst working for Finning,I came across a few of Shand Minings Caterpillar 777s,which were now owned by Levak plant hire from Scotland,on hire to Wimpey Mining,on the Great White Tip,coal site contract near Merthyr Tydfil.I know that unfortunately,this company was not doing well & the trucks were in a very sad state of repair.Sad to see & hear.
I have seen some photos on the net & I have heard there are still a few of these Dyggor Gaylord Caterpillar 777s rusting away up in Scotland on one of their reclaimed coal sites.
If anyone can add to this information,I would be most interested.
I hope this is of some interest to you,
Regards,
Mark Williams.

Topic author
Mark Williams

Re: Shand Mining East-Pit & Park-Slip O.C.C.S?

Post #2 by Mark Williams » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:53 am

Hello Everyone,
I forgot to mention,about the Kohring 1266 backactor,that was on the Shand mining Park-Slip site in the 70s.This machine was also bought new by Shand for the contract.The machine had 2 x GM Detroit Diesel V71 engines in it.I am not sure what Cylinder engines they were.The machine was later shipped to Shands Icehouse coal site,up in the Sheffield area.
There is a short video of this machine working @ Park-Slip on Youtube,Just do a search on Shand Mininig Kohring 1266 excavator.
Regards,
Mark Williams.

Dah
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Dah » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:06 pm

Hi

That machine certainly did go to Icehouse, however, it was near Ripley Derbyshire.

It was constantly breaking down and was swapped-out for a 992B.

Dave

Ian Fletcher1970
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Ian Fletcher1970 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:37 pm

I remember the 1266 at Icehouse as a lad - They also had a Cat 245 Backhoe there

Return to “Mining equipment”