Shand Mining Meadowgate & Killamarsh Open Cast Site.

Topic author
Mark Williams

Shand Mining Meadowgate & Killamarsh Open Cast Site.

Post #1 by Mark Williams » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:10 am

Hello Everyone,
I would like to talk about the above site,which Shand Mining were the contractors on in 1976,until the early 80s.
The plant to my knowledge,I have found out from previous employees & of course,the videos on Youtube by Gareth Horn of the above site,are of particular interest & your further input would be appreciated.
There was a new RB195B,2 used x RB150, 1 x RB71, a Lima 2400B & a Marion 191M. All these were face shovels.Ogden had a Cat 992,with distread tires,on hire there to.The majority of the dump trucks were Terex R45s & some new Terex R50s.The water bowsers were both specially made dust suppression units,made from a Terex R45 & an Aveling Barford SN35.Shand also had some of the Terex trucks on hire from Blackwood Hodge hire.Later on in the contract,Shand bought some new Euclid R85s.The dozers were Cat D8H,the one in the video looks to have a Kelly Ripper on it.The Graders were Cat 16 models & may have been on hire from Lew Gravelle,from South Wales,who was a big plant hirer to Shand mining.Shand also had their own 2 axle Aveling Barford grader on the job.The coal shovels were 2 x Hymac 1290s & were used to load the coal into 8 wheel tippers,to transport it 10 miles away,to the disposal point. The 1290s were most probably the 2 that were relocated to the Shands Ffyndaff site in the early 80s,where they relieved 2 x RB38 shovels.
Merriman & Meighan,had the contract to strip the top soil & used their vast fleet of Caterpillar D9H, D8H & Cat 631 scrapers.There was also an early Cat 245 backhoe on hire,on the civils contract,that can be seen in the video.I do not know who owned this excavator.
On the reclamation of the site,you can see a fleet of Euclid & Terex 14 scrapers doing the back fill.
Where I spent some time,on the Shand sites in South Wales (Ffyndaff,East-Pit & Parkslip) around this time frame,as a school boy & then a fitter,I can recall @ the time in the early 80s,where the Meadowgate & Killamarsh contract came to an end,the new Shand contract @ East-Pit in 1980 received an RB 195B & 2 x RB150s,these must have come from the finished site,along with some of the Terex trucks.At the same time I can remember a Lima 2400B coming to Ffyndaff with 8 Terex trucks,to open up the new extension.The 2 water bowsers were then @ the Ffyndaff site.The Marion 191M,which Shand only had 1 of,was the 1 that started its life @ the Glyn Glas coal site in west Wales & was relocated to Meadowgate & Killamarsh & was then sold to a company in the US.
I hope this is of interest,
Regards,
Mark Williams.

plantman

Re: Shand Mining Meadowgate & Killamarsh Open Cast Site.

Post #2 by plantman » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:00 pm

Very interesting Mark thanks for the story.

Topic author
Mark Williams

Post #3 by Mark Williams » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:07 am

Hello Noel,
Did you receive my PM I sent to you a few weeks ago?We haven't had a chat for a while.
Do you remember Merriman & Meighans plant on this contract Noel? Now thats what you call high speed muckshifting.Blackwell too,remember.
I am interested to find out more on the Marion 191M that was on this contract.You can just see the shovel,with its rear facing the blast on the Youtube video.
Take care,
Mark Williams.

al6lom
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by al6lom » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:44 pm

I guess this photo speaks for itself. I have other photos to follow.

Return to “Mining equipment”