JCB Tracked Loaders.

Discuss track loaders here

jcb3cMk3
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB Tracked Loaders.

Post #11 by jcb3cMk3 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:33 am

tctractors wrote:The biggest fault was the steel pipework that was just all over the place, I converted about 4 of these shovels to rubber pipe and the trouble seemed to stop over-night, they used Dowmatic (Dowty) drives and serviced as spec'ed seemed to stick the hammer well, the track problem would have been solved with the wet link tracks, this was not an option in those days, they were a great thing to look at, to drive, and a great leap forward from a CAT 951, fast forward about 20 years for CAT to bring out the 953 shovel???

tctractors

Hello tctractors,

Once I've completed my JCB 3C MKIII restoration I plan to buy and restore a JCB 110B. You mention the steel pipe work which you replaced with rubber pipe. Are you referring to the chassis hydraulic pipes?

PS. What improvements did the 110B offer over the original 110?

Cheers

Philip

Topic author
IBH

Post #12 by IBH » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:27 am

When CAT brought put their rear engined tracked loaders JCB apparently sent a scale model of a 110 with a note saying ''Imitation is the highest form of flatery'' to CAT.

tctractors

Post #13 by tctractors » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:52 pm

This banger comes from way back when??? the steel pipework was just about everywhere, the pipes would rub or crack as things shook about, so they always dripped like a "Busted Fridge" as for Model No, I honestly cannot remember, a common Mod to the smaller one was the fitting of a 6 pot motor instead of the 4 cylinder job, this was easy to do, the 6 cylinder motor was very common and very low value,

tctractors

Gavin Phillips

Post #14 by Gavin Phillips » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:19 pm

Re JCB 110 to 110B, 68 vrs 73bhp for the engine power.

I've never seen one of these machines in the flesh either although a couple have turned up on eBay at one time or another (one was the original 110 model, the other was a 110B).

I do remember asking questions about these machines before and the replies back that I got were not complimentary in the least. These crawler loaders had poorly designed ROPs, were prone to overheating and were not as well built or solid as more conventional machines. This is mostly due to the construction materials of the loaders by JCB rather than a really obvious design flaw.

JCB also entered the crawler loader market at the wrong time, as hydraulic excavators were becoming far more than just the basic trench diggers they had been in previous years. The JCB: First Fifty Years book mentions about a crawler loader "slump", notice how many other manufacturers have dropped production as well - giants such as Komatsu included albeit not for a while after. I'm more inclined to believe the sale of excavators contributed to the demise of these machines, if it wasn't a major factor.

Would you still be able to source parts from JCB if you were a lucky owner of one of these rare machines?
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

phil stanworth

Post #15 by phil stanworth » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:44 pm

20 years ahead of their time. Idrove prototype in early 1970s good to drive but went thro chains by being fast. Would run rings ropund B100s. Never much of a success pity!

Joes1989

Post #16 by Joes1989 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:29 pm

Id love JCB to start making track loaders again! The size of a 963 or 953 would be amazing!

Joe

BulldozerD11

Post #17 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:25 am

There used to be couple parked in a yard /field near the Excavator Pub (were JC Balls JCB 1 was sat on the roof of for years), near Alfreton/Ambergate.

And a Q for the experts :?:
What engines were in the 110 , 112 & 114 then (see the power was discued earlier for 110/B)
and when was 110 & 114 introduced (I have a date of 1975 for the 112)?

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Martyn Henley

Post #18 by Martyn Henley » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:04 am

Hi Dave, the first 110 first appeared in 1968, and named project TS4, it had a 68bhp 4 cylinder Perkins engine and it used the track running gear from a JCB6C, the 110 went into production in 1971 and used the same hush flow exhaust that was on the 800 series 360 degree machines...
The 112 was introduced in July 1975, powered by a 6 cylinder Perkins engine producing 101 bhp, and the 114 came along in January 1976 and that had a 6 cylinder Perkins engine producing 126 bhp, it was at this time the 110 had the engine updated to 73 bhp and renamed the 110B.
As we all know the 100 series was way ahead of its time .. but never caught on.. so hope this answers a few of your questions.

Martyn

Joes1989

Post #19 by Joes1989 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:25 am

There used to be couple parked in a yard /field near the Excavator Pub (were JC Balls JCB 1 was sat on the roof of for years), near Alfreton/Ambergate.

Really where? are they still there? Wouldnt mind going to see them! I wonder if ballys got one in his collection?

Joe

BulldozerD11

Post #20 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:10 pm

Thanks Martyn :thumbs_up:

There was very little info in the JCB 50 Year book.

Hi Joe, Look over the road from the Excavator pub, up the back road that goes towards Chesterfield up the valley. On the Left hand side about 1/4 mile up there is a field infront of a farm set back from the road that had/has several old machines and material 'parked' (think thers another pub nearly opposite, and about another 1/2 mile further up the roads a small old mill that for years I thought would be a good conversion job, thats is now a house) . I've not been past for ages.

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Return to “Track Loaders”