Fiat FL4 tracked loader circa 1960's

Discuss track loaders here

Topic author
jimfoster4
Flag: Great Britain

Fiat FL4 tracked loader circa 1960's

Post #1 by jimfoster4 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:39 pm

Hi, Does anybody own one of these. I am about to commence a restoration of one and would love to hear from anybody who know's these machines :).

Jeembawb

Re: Fiat FL4 tracked loader circa 1960's

Post #2 by Jeembawb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:36 am

jimfoster4 wrote:Hi, Does anybody own one of these. I am about to commence a restoration of one and would love to hear from anybody who know's these machines :).

As you probably know Jim - the FL4 is just a 411c/451c dozer with the loader & ripper gear on it & a bigger hydraulic tank & controls positioned differently (& maybe different grousers). I have a 451c and when I noticed in the manual for it that they come out as an FL4 as well I am quite keen to convert it to an FL4 using bobcat 4 in 1 bit etc. You can buy manuals easy enough - but almost impossible to find for free - this was the 1st manual that I have bought & I have lots that I have been lucky enough to find for free on the internet - it is called something like 400 series crawler workshop manual & like I say it does cover the FL4 too. I got mine here in Oz - where are you?

Jimbob

Topic author
jimfoster4

Post #3 by jimfoster4 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi Jimbob,

Great to finally have a reply. Thanks for the valuable info about manuals etc. Since my last posting I have commenced the restoration. This machine has been in our family around 40 years. About 10 years ago while I was using it I lost all drive, with a grinding noise whenever the main clutch was engaged. Since then to date its stood in a barn. Anyway, stripped to down and removed the final drive to find the problem is the crownwheel and pinion have slipped out of engagement because of a bearing collapsing. Unfortunately this has allowed oil into the L and R final drives and contaminated the clutch plates and brake bands. We have another FL4 for spares so will strip this to see if its clutch plates and bands are any good. Have you exerienced problems with the clutches slipping? We had repeat problems but now think the fault may have been worn springs that clamp the clutch plates.

We are in Yorkshire, England. Are there many Fl4's or similar in Oz?

shirtbox2003

Post #4 by shirtbox2003 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 pm

when i worked for chaseside/northrop in the 60s, they started to build fl4 and fl6 loaders from skid units shipped from italy.they where not bad mechanically apart from forward and reverse shafts failing,big job as you have to remove both final drives to do this,(pain for fitters)i was once given a free raign to find a way round this.after 2 weeks,gave up.one thing to remember fiat do not advise preloading of any bearings.the other problems are the centrifugal secondary oil filter incorporated on the cranck front pulley,behind the main hydraulic pump.excessive driving with p.t.o. engaged.never turn over engine when cyl head is off as the cyl liners can lift,big probs...very low undercarriage not ideal in soft going.chaseside sold loads of these before northrop sold out to jcb as they where very cheap,3 of these to a cat 933.fiat hitachi will still have spares for these.

Topic author
jimfoster4

Post #5 by jimfoster4 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your info. The chassis plate on our FL4 states ANNO 1963. Is it probable that It may have been assembled at Chaseside? Also, it came originally with what I think was a MF back actor, but this was too heavy and it now has the rear counterweight/ripper on instead.

Out of interest we also have a big chaseside front loading shovel. Its 2wd with massive rear weights incorporated into the mudguards. Will have a look but I don't think its any power steering! Bought it when a local builders merchants shut down 20 years ago and been barn stored ever since. Good engine but the autobox didn't lock up..thiink it may be the torque converter and no its not short of fluid. Having said that from memory it didn't rev very high so maybe with more revs to might pull better. Anyway, thats another project after the FL4.

Cheers

Jim

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #6 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi Jim,
I know it doesn't help you, but, "Sods Law", I had an FL4 with a seized engine in my yard for many years. It was complete and had excelent running gear.
I cut it up last year when I retired. :doh:
Fred

Topic author
jimfoster4

Post #7 by jimfoster4 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:27 am

Hi Fred,

Oh well, suppose they may be others still around, although the rocketing price of scrap will not be helping. We bought a couple 20 odds years ago from the Lancs area, Where are you?

Jim

Return to “Track Loaders”