Newbie with MF-300

Discuss track loaders here

Topic author
Thermoguard

Newbie with MF-300

Post #1 by Thermoguard » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:09 pm

Hello all,

I've just joined CMN, having recently acquired a Massey Ferguson MF-300 crawler loader. It's a bit of a sad looking machine which hasn't had much TLC for decades. Don't think it's seen a grease gun for a very long time. But everything important seems to work, no serious oil leaks that I can see and the Perkins 4248 starts instantly, with no sign of blue smoke. It has a 4-in-1 bucket and a backhoe on the back (where else, I guess?). The original ripper frame, ram and one much worn tyne is still sitting in the bucket.

I was very fortunate to locate a full original repair manual around the same time, from a bloke in South Australia, and also was able to source a reproduction Operators Manual from a mob called Jensales in the USA. So I've been able to learn quite a lot about its inner workings already. Haven't yet had a chance to use it in anger, as it needs an engine oil change and I'm trying to get the track tensioner rams working again after excavating down to the corroded remains of the grease nipples through deposits like concrete!

Hope I'll be able to call on the wealth of experience and expertise on such machines on this forum when I need to. When the machine is in useable order it will be used on our 50 acre property in the South Burnett region of South-east Queensland, Australia. One of the first jobs will be to attack about 15 acres of thick Lantana - a noxious woody weed in this part of the world. After that, some track grading, perhaps deepening a farm dam and leveling a future house site - should keep me off the streets...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ian in Oz.

martyn williams

Re: Newbie with MF-300

Post #2 by martyn williams » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:32 am

The MF 300's are a good machine,the company I worked for had three in the fleet.Ther were very reliable,one of the machines got into a lot of trouble whilst working in a Devon harbour,it got stuck and the tide came in.When I got on site,all I could see was the top of the cab.We had to rebuilt the engine and had a few problems with the transmission.Will have to look for the photos of that.
Martyn

martyn williams

Re: Newbie with MF-300

Post #3 by martyn williams » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:34 am

[video]http://youtu.be/tvNBqbCEJ2Y[/video]

Return to “Track Loaders”