951B still going strong in Spain

Discuss track loaders here

Topic author
rocketjohn

951B still going strong in Spain

Post #1 by rocketjohn » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:06 pm

My old man worked for Willets and Hawkins in the 70´s and I spent many a happy hour with him driving Drotts and a 951 etc. Health and safety meant common sense those days!!!

Anyway I needed a machine for a project here in Spain and found an ex Guernsey council 951b for sale. After 7 years of owning it I thought it was about time trans oil etc was changed!!!

Anyone give me some tips on where the drain plugs are and what oils should be used, or even the location of a manual?

The volvo attached is an 861 ex power station bought cheap. I refurbed it last year and is going strong enjoying the sun out here!

Cheers lads,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Re: 951B still going strong in Spain

Post #2 by tctractors » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:27 pm

Rocket, the 951 looks in strong order, I held the monitor sideways to take a look, anyhow the oil through the shovel was series 3 sae30 in Spain suto oil will fit the bill, the hydraulic tank takes SAE 10 hydraulic oil, there is a sight glass on the tank, the Final Drives are often ether empty of oil or over filled caused by oil transfer from the trans so remove the plugs expecting dust or a good soaking?? you can stuff 80/90 gear oil in the F/Drives its up to you as its the common thing,the transmission is a bit more of a test for you as there is a filter and a screen that needs a birthday, the oil drain points are simple, look for the lowest part with a plug in it, the engine oil filter is a paper eliment style 1 usualy all mingin in crud outside, the fuel filter is a spin on job, so turn the tap off at the fuel tank first before things get messy, always change the engine oil before doing the fuel side, as you dont want to lie down in mess, finaly if you need any used parts engine, trans, big chunks, etc pm me

Topic author
rocketjohn

Post #3 by rocketjohn » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:54 pm

Cheers TCT , all done but wifey would´nt let me in the house after!!! Sump guards has about 6" of sh****t in them . Running great now but bad news is the cylinder seals need doing next!!! Any tips on changing them would be appreciated. I´ve done seals on a JCB JS 220 but never a Cat.

Your advice was greatly appreciated !

Cheers,

tctractors

Post #4 by tctractors » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:13 pm

Well Rocketjohn, you might have a bit of a task with the cylinder reseal job, the main hoist cylinders are fairly simple to strip out, if you use a bit of brain, my prefered method is to whip off the front bucket, then rase the arms up and block them with a chunk of RSJ or a good baulk of timber across the hardnose, a few thin packers help things with the slope,then you can remove the rod end pin, 4 15/16" headed bolts +4 9/16" headed top pipe bolts (After you have vented the hydraulic tank by removing the filler cap that is) put a pot handy to catch oil, place the hoist lever to float and winch out the rod and cap with a pull lift off the loader frame,as soon as the rods out place the hoist lever to hold position, the fun now starts, place the rod end in your tow clevis supporting the rod with timber, I think the socket size is 2"3/8?? that fits the rod nut, warning this nut " aint' loose to undo, with the nut off the piston will tap off the rod the end cap will slide off also, when you rebuild the fibre section of the piston is closest to the nut, the seal part is towards the rod eye, the bucket cylinders are the same to strip but the piston is on a taper fit so after removing the nut a bit of press work is required, if the rods are scored new rods are cheap enough to buy, p,m, me if you need help.

John Willet Plant - Willet and Hawkins was a local Co to me up at J5-M5 I still see a few of their old drivers about, best of luck .

tctractors

Topic author
rocketjohn

Post #5 by rocketjohn » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:04 am

Cheers for that again! Spoke to dad and he wonders who you are? Alan Crowshawe, Les Gittins and Geoff the fitter where some of his colleagues.

tctractors

Post #6 by tctractors » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:39 pm

I used to do a few repairs on a D6 blade at Penny Hill quarry, the pilot was an ex Willet man, he used to drive their CAT215, the other man that sticks in my mind was I think called Arthur, he used to pilot a CAT 955 shovel (manual control) and credit to him he was Dynamite on the old girl, the shovel used to belong to another chap from new who sadly killed himself, the 955 had a 951 bucket fitted, I think Arthur died some time ago, then there is Eric Ganderton a great pilot on anything other than JCB's as he would not shelter out of a storm in 1, Eric is some comedy to be working with, his super dry whit there is no equal on the Earth, to listen to him take the ~iss out of some office knob, is absolute " Nectar " giving you tears in the eyes for weeks, the workshop manager was a big chap with a good sized belt to hold his breeks up, I have forgot his name but he used to throw me a few crumbs in the way of work and was very fair to me.

tctractors

p.s. I worked on the Worc City Walls Rd, went to site to fix a CAT 951, then told to drive it for the rest of the day, ended up staying 3 weeks doing type 1 to bone, the Que of 8 legger's was endless, the shovel was owned by Ted Jones.
p.p.s. The 215 drivers name was I think Tony Adams.

Topic author
rocketjohn

Post #7 by rocketjohn » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:26 am

Just finished off changing all of the cylinder seals . The old girl runs and works like a gud un now!

Many thanks for the tips , they were invaluable. Bloody hard job though!! You earn your money!

Cheers,

Return to “Track Loaders”