JOHN W DROTT FAMILY

Discuss track loaders here

Topic author
martyn williams

JOHN W DROTT FAMILY

Post #1 by martyn williams » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:03 am

The Drott family has been in contact with me after I have spent some time tracking them down.This is the email:

Martyn, I received an e-mail from my Son John Drott lll at JWD Trees saying you would like to get in touch with me. It might be fun to open up a dialogue. When you get a chance I would love to discuss our family and their involvement in DMC and what got you so interested in the equipment. I have attached a photo of my Dad about 5 years ago on his TD 6 with a 4 n 1 behind our home in Tomahawk Wisconsin. This was also the home of the Drott Proving Grounds that was used to test equipment and to bring prospective buyers to see the equipment operate and live in a Logging Camp atmosphere as that is how Drott was started; in the logging business. Log Grapples where actually Grandpas first inventions as he was a logger with the Roddes Line Logging and Rail Road, Co.
J I Case still owns the proving grounds and it remains very similar to how it was when the family owned it. We still have our home adjacent to the Tenneco property.
The TD 6 runs great but is need of the track carriages. There is no more adjustments left and you have to be very careful not to through a track.
Thanks for your interest in the things that make our family very proud. Please contact me at any time if you would like to talk Drott. Regards: John W Drott, Jr Marco Island Fl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JOHN W DROTT FAMILY

Post #2 by John Gaunt » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:54 am

Hi Martyn,
Well, that's very interesting, I hadn't realised that Drott was a seperate company, although I guess if I'd thought about it it would have been more obvious.
It would be interesting to meet the family members and talk Drott with them, especially how they got started and the development of the products.

Would appreciate it if you'd keep me posted of any developments.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:53 pm

Hello John
This is an interesting development, hope to get a lot more info on this interesting company in the next few weeks.
Cheers
Martyn

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:16 pm

This is an interesting 1960's leaflet of John Drott premoting Drott 4 in 1 fitted to an I H loader.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nick Drew

Post #5 by Nick Drew » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:59 pm

Hi Martyn,

Great archive brochure there !!! :thumbs_up:

Sounds like you have really hit on to something by making contact with those Drott guys !! Will be very interesting to see how this develops 8-)

Keep up the good work Martyn :thumbs_up:

Nick :mrgreen:

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:32 pm

Nick
I have sent a copy of the picture to John Drott,he just emailed me back saying he printed it off and has now framed it on his office wall and a copy sent to his mother.He told me the picture was done 46 years ago,it shows his dad ,who passed away at the age of 86 a year ago.He also said the original machine demo operator is still alive and lives in Tomahawk Wisconcin.
I hope to meet John Drott jr one day.
Martyn

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #7 by martyn williams » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:04 pm

Another Drott 4 in 1 poster showing John Drott. I think these old posters are great.I have sent a copy to John Drott jr.

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Post #8 by John Gaunt » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:38 am

Keep up the good work Martyn !
Never realised they made a Drott as large as a TD20, must have been quite a beast in it's day, what was the bigest machine in the UK ?

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #9 by martyn williams » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:36 am

They did not build many larger loaders in the Doncaster plant as the demand was mainly for the BTD6 size of machine, the B100 came in and the 6 was phased out some were constructed along side each other till production was stopped on the BTD6.Saville tractors refurbished BTD6 for customers.(As you know I have a 1970 125A,these had a BD281 engine fitted as the BTD6 &100 had the BD264) This involved new running gear,engine overhaul etc.The were then painted yellow 1964 on.The larger machines, like the BTD20 were turned out as bulldozers and farm crawlers. The IH Drotts were much cheaper than the Cat loaders like the 933's the ratio was around 4 to 1,four IH to one Cat used in construction on loader duties in the smaller sites of the 1960's. Caterpillar had the bigger and more powerfull 951's 955's end of the loader market. The torque converter 100B's 125B and the 165's were then produced in the 1970's.Much better for operator comfort that the older loaders,and faster.
The TD machines were USA built. A mate of mine has a 175 which is in great condition,there is one for sale in Devon.They were about the size of a Cat 951/955
I was in Doncaster two weeks ago as my firms HQ is across the road from the Doncaster tractor works. Very sad to see these days.All our heavy industry is vanishing

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #10 by martyn williams » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:41 pm

John Drott jr has been in contact again. Those posters were produced 46 years ago.He is obviously very proud of the Drott company and has promised to send me more info.Looking forward to that.The Drott chief demonstrator, Vern Lamer is still alive and lives in Tomahawk Wisconcin. John sr was a captain of a b17 in the 8 th airforce during WW2 at the age of 21,some planes had teeth painted on the nosecones,thats where the poster idear came from.
Will post any developments as soon as I get them.
Martyn

Return to “Track Loaders”