100B Series II track loader

Discuss track loaders here

Topic author
wray nc

100B Series II track loader

Post #1 by wray nc » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:16 am

Hello!
My name is Wray Black. I live in the States in the state of North Carolina.
I found this site while Gooleing for the above loader. I read everything pertaining to the 100B loader in this forum, but have some specific questions.
I obtained a 100B loader by trading a 1979 Mercedes diesel for it.

The loder was disassembled to replace the ring and pinion (crown) gearing. The new gearing was with the disassembled unit.
The new gearing and the transmission is installed in the chassis. I went to drop the steering clutches in but they are about one inch or more too "tall" on the stack up to fit between the ring and pinion housing and the final drive flange.
The clutches were assembled according to the shop manual and are held compressed with
three bolts. They are just too "tall' . They look to need two more inches to be abel to engage the drive coupling.
Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?Or, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Qusetion: Is this clutch assembly the same and in the TD6 unit?

Also, on the transmission and torque converter pump, there is 5 hydraulic ports. The pressure out port is on the right looking form the rear and 4 ports on the left. The shop manual shows
the two ports for the torque converter charge port and discharge port to the cooler, but does not indicate which ports are physically plumbed where. Anyone have a hydraulic schematic indicating which ports are to what function? This includes the reverser clutch pack.

Also, I am in need of one bellows seal for one final drive . Anyone know of a source?

The clutch and hydraulic ports have me at a standstill . Any assistance and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Another steering clutch note:
These slutches have the bimetallic friction discs instead of the fiber. I have read where in this case an extra drive and fiber disc should be installed. Is this indeed the case?

Enough for now. Thanks for reading (listening). Will post pictures in seperate post.

Topic author
wray nc

Re: 100B Series II track loader

Post #2 by wray nc » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:34 am

Pictures of the clutch assembly and chassis area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
wray nc

Post #3 by wray nc » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:54 am

More pictures. Any thing look familar?

Wray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:56 am

Hi Wray welcome to CMN there is bound to be somebody on here who can help you with your questions. :wave:

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #5 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:46 am

Hi Wray,
I've done dozens of these slew clutches over the years and as far as I can tell from your photos your doing everything right.
One question, are you using the right length compression bolts with machined spiggot ends to compress the clutch? If not I can probably dig out the dimensions for you.
Fred

romneyman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #6 by romneyman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi Wray
Freds correct you will need the special clutch compression bolts to fit the assembly into the frame, from your photos it seems thatyou have some studding in place.
The fibre clutch discs went out of use back in the early sixties and were never fitted to the se machines.I think you are correct that the mettalic clutches had an extra disc.
Its about thirty years since Iworked on these machines but I seem to rember that the pipes into the torque converter housing were identified by "or if"--outlet--reverse--inlet--forward . Hope this helps, Peter

martyn williams

Post #7 by martyn williams » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:32 pm

Bellow seals are hard to get hold of,saw compression bolts for the clutches on Ebay a few months back.I have some in my garage,had a tidy up and cant find anything now :lol:
I am collecting a load of clutch pack spares soon.
Welcome to CMN
Keep us posted on your progress
Martyn

Topic author
wray nc

Post #8 by wray nc » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:33 am

Thanks for the welcome and replies!
I will try and sort out the transmission/converter ports with your info Peter. But may
need more info if possible.
I understand the bellows seals are hard to find I will have to repair this one.
On the steering clutch(s): I compressed them to a dead stop on a shop press and screwed in
a portion of threaded rod to the stop to determine required length. Cut the rod off and retained enough to weld a nut to the end. made three at his length and installed while still on the press. The compression to dead stop is not enough to get the compression dimension of the clutch pack required for installation. Am I compressing them wrong? I can get a dimensiion of the threaded rod/nut assembly and maybe compare with the correct IH bolts.
I have disassembled and re-assembled these clutches many times to try to get the right combination.

Thanks again!

I will post more pictures.

Wray

Topic author
wray nc

Post #9 by wray nc » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:55 am

Picture of the clutch compression bolt I'm using. it is two and a half inches long from under the head to the end. Wray

martyn williams

Post #10 by martyn williams » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:48 pm

I think the bolts maybe too long.
Martyn

Return to “Track Loaders”