IH 250 b trackloader not starting

Discuss track loaders here

Topic author
Croker

IH 250 b trackloader not starting

Post #1 by Croker » Wed May 06, 2009 3:45 am

Greetings to all ,I did a very stupid thing , to make my story short , I sank my IH 250 track deep in mud , I tryed to get it out to no avail ,at some point she would not start , I used my backhoe to dig her out ,she is all dug out but still cant get her started , she will fire over on ether but will not run, the injectors have been rebuilt and also the injector pump ,she is getting fuel up to the rails but no start just cranking untill I spray ether then she fires up a bit and dies, there is alot of mud in the engine compartment ,so I dont know if somthing is clogged with mud like a breather or somthing not letting her start, if anyone could maybe point me in the rite direction on rectifying my problem ,I would be greatful thank you Jeff

martyn williams

Re: IH 250 b trackloader not starting

Post #2 by martyn williams » Wed May 06, 2009 3:52 pm

Hello Jeff
I would carry out the following.Check fuel condition,is it contaminated ? I would drain and clean the fuel tank,refill with clean fuel,check and clean fuel lines and renew filters.You say the fuel pump has been overhauled,has it been put back correctly,pump timing lined up.Bleed the fuel system in the right order,filters,pump, injectors.Does the engine smoke when motored? if not, fuel pump rack may be stuck or even the stop is out.Is the fuel lift pump operating,sometimes the internal valves and filter screen can get clogged up.Try not to use easy start,do the heaters work ? if not, use heat from a blowlamp to heat up intake air.Put a good charged up battery on the machine.Try these first.
Good luck
Martyn

Topic author
Croker

Post #3 by Croker » Thu May 07, 2009 3:32 am

Martyn thank you for the reply , I have installed the fuel pump and injectors as per my IH service manual for the DT 429 engine describes with aligning the timing slot with the timing pin , the only thing I was unsure of if I needed to also get #1 piston at TDC on compression stroke , before reinstalling the pump but I did not think I needed to do this proceedure, being only the pump was removed , Yes the system was bled as you describe and I also can here the fuel returning back to the tank when cranking engine , and Yes the engine blacks up (smokes ) when motored ,also oil pressure comes up while cranking ,and I dont believe the heaters work . I have not worked on this machine since last summer , so I will be buying new batteries fuel and filters and go through everything you describe before I attempt to crank her over . Thanks again for you advice and help I am grateful hopefully I will get her running again it is a joy to clear my land with her she pushes 80ft oaks over like toothpicks and piles them up like 2x4 s. Jeff

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Thu May 07, 2009 2:03 pm

Hello Jeff
Any photos of the machine? would like to see them :thumbs_up:
Regards
Martyn

Return to “Track Loaders”