maggie deutz 8 wheel tippers

Topic author
liebherr 266

maggie deutz 8 wheel tippers

Post #1 by liebherr 266 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:41 pm

Hello Gents,

This is a long shot but I figure it's a good place to start looking.

I'm looking to get my hands on a maggie deutz 232d30 8 wheeler, either complete or broken to assist in the restoration of one that I have.

Can anyone recall seeing one in a yard anywhere?, probably overgrown at this stage. They could well look red rotten but its the chassis i'm after so i'm not too bothered about that.

I know there must be a couple somewhere.

Any help or tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Re: maggie deutz 8 wheel tippers

Post #2 by modelman093 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:48 pm

liebherr 266 wrote:Hello Gents,

This is a long shot but I figure it's a good place to start looking.

I'm looking to get my hands on a maggie deutz 232d30 8 wheeler, either complete or broken to assist in the restoration of one that I have.

Can anyone recall seeing one in a yard anywhere?, probably overgrown at this stage. They could well look red rotten but its the chassis i'm after so i'm not too bothered about that.

I know there must be a couple somewhere.

Any help or tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Suppose a starting point could be a list of the larger customers for them when they were in regular use - late 60s??
At one point thy were distributed by CL and HL Blundell who had depots in Canterbury, Folkestone and Dartford.
Investigating commercial vehicle breakers around and about users and distributors may be a starting point for finding the proverbial needle in a haystack?

KWDLDK

Post #3 by KWDLDK » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:28 am

Brendan, try Rush Green Motors, also there is a bood site called , Air Cooled Rules by Roland Spalding, ex Maggie sales man which is interesting. I used to run a few 232D30 tippers myself

Kieran

XS650

Post #4 by XS650 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:26 am

Could also try puttin a photo on flickr with same request , there's quite an old truck community on there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fryske/5530058988/
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
liebherr 266

Post #5 by liebherr 266 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:53 pm

KWDLDK wrote:Brendan, try Rush Green Motors, also there is a bood site called , Air Cooled Rules by Roland Spalding, ex Maggie sales man which is interesting. I used to run a few 232D30 tippers myself

Kieran

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking for some time. It's an irony of life, you couldn't give them away 15 years ago :D

I found one in Cyprus would you believe, but the chap won't sell it. I missed out, there was a few scrapped out of a field in Herts last year, any one would have been ideal for me. Most that were lying have been scrapped or exported where they still work them, Africa mostly.

I just thought there has to be one lying somewhere forgotten about, i'm sure there is. Its just a matter of jogging someones memory, someone might have been in around a yard and wondered what the old girl in the ditch was ;)

Were you in London Kieran?

cheers lads

tctractors

Post #6 by tctractors » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:39 pm

A Co' I used to work for had 23 Scammell's (Routmans) and 1 left hooker Maggi, the Maggi had I am near sure? a 10 cylinder motor and would pull like a Loco, I fitted a couple of clutch kits in it as it was working out of a muck pit on load money so the boot was right in all day, it had a ZF box with to many gears in it, the Scammell's mostly had the 6 speed overdrive (sliding mesh) gearbox's but the Maggi was well upto a hard shift with little trouble and well liked.

tim

Post #7 by tim » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:53 pm

Charles Morris based near Heathrow had one or two "retired" 232's in their yard a few years ago-they may be worth a call

Ianto36

Post #8 by Ianto36 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:04 am

Went to have a look around Rush Green yesterday, quite a few Maggies round there if you hunt around!
Ian

Topic author
liebherr 266

Post #9 by liebherr 266 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:55 am

tim wrote:Charles Morris based near Heathrow had one or two "retired" 232's in their yard a few years ago-they may be worth a call

Hi Tim,

Cheers, I had thought of Charlie Morris and did inquire but someone told me that his yard has been cleared. It seems most of the guys that had a few lying around have got rid.

XS650 wrote:Could also try puttin a photo on flickr with same request , there's quite an old truck community on there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fryske/5530058988/

yep xs650 i have done that, actually I put a few pics of our old Maggies up on it if you search my photo stream-232d30. There are a few photos of an old yard in Herts that was cleared a couple of years back. Several old maggies got cut up for scrap-a crying shame as any one of them would have done me grand!!

Thanks

KWDLDK

Post #10 by KWDLDK » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:13 am

:insomnia: Brendan, yes worked for Killoughery on the spanners, early nineties, ran a V and X reg maggie,s around Stoke and the midlands aswell as Foden ERF. in Galway at moment ....... hanging in there, doing plant repairs onsite welding anywhere in Ireland or anywhere :)

Return to “Trucks/Lorrys”