Private HGV & Tachos (only for UK residents)

Topic author
Julian

Private HGV & Tachos (only for UK residents)

Post #1 by Julian » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:27 pm

My ERF E12 tractor unit is due for it's annual MOT in March. It's a private HGV ie no operators licence etc. I notice that the tacho, an old fashioned paper disc type, carries a 2 year inspection sticker that expired at the end of last year. It's currently SORNED and not insured. (as it's not used in the winter)

So I was wondering:

1. Is there a requirement to have a valid inspection sticker on private HGV?
2. Does anyone in the North West know were I can get it done?

I'll ask at Blakes, were I get the test done, this week. But I have found that the VOSA chaps are not always totally 'up to speed' on these technicalities!

Julian.

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Private HGV & Tachos (only for UK residents)

Post #2 by Neversweat » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:42 pm

If its for private use it must have an inital calibration plaque and be sealed even though you don't use it. It doesn't need 2 year checks.

Steve

Topic author
Julian

Post #3 by Julian » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Neversweat wrote:If its for private use it must have an inital calibration plaque and be sealed even though you don't use it. It doesn't need 2 year checks.

Steve

Thanks, that's what i needed to know. I've looked on the VOSA site and notice that there's a downloadable self cert tacho exemption form.

Julian.

whitesnipe

Post #4 by whitesnipe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Hello Jullian,

Sorry to give you the bad news!

You do need up to date 2 & 6 year tacho checks to get your lorry through MOT.

Also being a private HGV over 7.5T from the 1st of January 2008 all private HGV's that are tested the driver must obide by the current legislation which is covered by the EU working time directive and use a tacho card.

If you are unable to keep 28 days previous tacho disc's in the lorry, to prove your driving hours, VOSA require you to carry a diary in the vehicle listing your work and rest days for the previous 28 days.

HOW DO I KNOW THIS?
I was pulled in June 2008 and given a Proabition Notice and kept at the road side for the best part of two hours, until I could come up with a satisfactory explanation of what work and rest I had in the last 28 days

Regards Paul 07831 275758
www.eastmidlandsworkingweekend.co.uk

Neversweat

Post #5 by Neversweat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:46 pm

whitesnipe wrote:Hello Jullian,

Sorry to give you the bad news!

You do need up to date 2 & 6 year tacho checks to get your lorry through MOT.

Also being a private HGV over 7.5T from the 1st of January 2008 all private HGV's that are tested the driver must obide by the current legislation which is covered by the EU working time directive and use a tacho card.

If you are unable to keep 28 days previous tacho disc's in the lorry, to prove your driving hours, VOSA require you to carry a diary in the vehicle listing your work and rest days for the previous 28 days.

HOW DO I KNOW THIS?
I was pulled in June 2008 and given a Proabition Notice and kept at the road side for the best part of two hours, until I could come up with a satisfactory explanation of what work and rest I had in the last 28 days

Regards Paul 07831 275758
www.eastmidlandsworkingweekend.co.uk

Not if its for private use you don't -It must have an inital calibration plaque AND be sealed - fill in the exemption form at the test station - it must come in to one of the catagories though - :thumbup:

Steve

For example a horsebox going to shows carrying just your horse is o.k as is carrying someone elses as well as long as they aren't paying you.
I've just taken a lorry thats just used around an estate in Oxfordshire and its tacho was last calibrated in 1997.
Last edited by Neversweat on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
Julian

Post #6 by Julian » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks Steve, I think one of the potential problems is that the VOSA guys that stop you at the roadside don't even know the rules themselves!

But keeping 28 days worth of discs in the cab would be very easy as that would be zero as I'm lucky to even get it out every 28 days :-)

Julian.

PS, March is MOT expiracy, so I'll be getting it ready for it's test soon. I did less that 1000 miles in it last year so I'm not expecting any real problems - probably just the regular things like a lightbulb not working on the low-loader.

Neversweat

Post #7 by Neversweat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:27 am

Julian wrote:Thanks Steve, I think one of the potential problems is that the VOSA guys that stop you at the roadside don't even know the rules themselves!

But keeping 28 days worth of discs in the cab would be very easy as that would be zero as I'm lucky to even get it out every 28 days :-)

Julian.

PS, March is MOT expiracy, so I'll be getting it ready for it's test soon. I did less that 1000 miles in it last year so I'm not expecting any real problems - probably just the regular things like a lightbulb not working on the low-loader.

Its illegal to keep more than 28 days worth of tachos in the cab as well - i had this trouble when i got stopped but when i pointed out i was responsible for the vehicle and tachos and would be handing them into myself they relented :dizzy:

Steve

whitesnipe

Post #8 by whitesnipe » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi Steve,

Signing an exemption form at the test station will only allow you to travel 60KM from base.

You then have to put a tacho disc in.

Paul

Topic author
Julian

Post #9 by Julian » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:17 pm

Neversweat wrote:
Not if its for private use you don't -It must have an inital calibration plaque AND be sealed - fill in the exemption form at the test station - it must come in to one of the catagories though - :thumbup:

Just to let you know that the ERF (and trailer) passed the MOT this week, I had filled out an exemption form (downloaded online) and the chap checked the seal and calibration plaque and was more that happy! Anyway, I'll keep the exemption form in the cab just in case I get pulled by VOSA, it'll save the chap having to go looking in ze book of rules if he's not sure :)

All good with the heavy stuff like brakes steering and suspension, keeping it roadworthy will be cheap and easy unless they change some rules in the future.....

Julian.

Neversweat

Post #10 by Neversweat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Julian wrote:
Neversweat wrote:

Just to let you know that the ERF (and trailer) passed the MOT this week, I had filled out an exemption form (downloaded online) and the chap checked the seal and calibration plaque and was more that happy! Anyway, I'll keep the exemption form in the cab just in case I get pulled by VOSA, it'll save the chap having to go looking in ze book of rules if he's not sure :)

All good with the heavy stuff like brakes steering and suspension, keeping it roadworthy will be cheap and easy unless they change some rules in the future.....

Julian.

That's that out the way for another 12 months then :thumbup:

Steve

Return to “Trucks/Lorrys”