Oshkosh R-series

Topic author
librarian62

Oshkosh R-series

Post #1 by librarian62 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:16 pm

Scans from a 1971 brochure :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Re: Oshkosh R-series

Post #2 by Holger » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:29 pm

Those are the most impressive trucks I know!
Some resources:
How-To

Topic author
librarian62

Post #3 by librarian62 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:38 am

Same here. The old-old one I ran was pretty beat-up when I got to it. But, it never failed me.

MGI

Post #4 by MGI » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:52 pm

Looks as if space under the bonnet wouldn't be a problem!

Topic author
librarian62

Post #5 by librarian62 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:59 am

If the 1693T CAT motor was one of the power options, you could (theoretically) fit a V-12 Detroit in there. The length of these two engines were about the same. From the size of the radiator grille, cooling the later probably wouldn't have been a problem if a slightly larger radiator was installed. The 1693T Cat was rated at 325 hp, the 1693TA was either 375 or 425 hp. Get's one thinking..... :dizzy:

kwabbus
Flag: Netherlands

WANTED Oshkosh R-series information

Post #6 by kwabbus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:32 am

On the DHS forum I recently found the photo and quote listed below and because all the positive reactions I recieved from fellow Caterpillar and Oshkosh scale models collectors I contacted Dan Models to see if its possible to make this unique Oshkosh R series truck in 1:50th scale.

Dan Silvestru is excited as I'm, but we need more information, dimensions, drawings, specsheets and photos, photos and more photos to even start with this project.

This giant Caterpillar powered Oshkosh R series, was one of a number that were sold to the Saudi Arabian Bin Laden Construction company in the late 1960's.
They were 6x4 drive with plantetary axles, fitted wth sand tyres and Hyster supplied the heavy duty flat bed. This example was one of a few that were also shipped as a package with the mighty Caterpillar D9G dozer on the back. It's pictured outside the Caterpillar dealer in Wiscsonsin where it was later shipped to the Gulf.

Not many rigid trucks of the day could transport such a load and these did it with ease. These were the largest trucks Oshkosh had produced until the arrival of the even larger J series which came out in the 1970's.

If you are in the possession of more photos or additional background information like Drawings, Specsheets or Brochures about the 1:1 Oshkosh R series truck I would be happy if you send your response to info@minimovers.nl

Only with your help we can make this project a succes!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Trucks/Lorrys”