Fresh paint on my E12!

Topic author
Julian

Fresh paint on my E12!

Post #1 by Julian » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:09 pm

I've managed to get some new paint onto the old girl, just the main part of the cab for now and the grill, it's my first experiment with two pack paint and I'm impressed - two coats easily does the job and it's dry to the touch very quickly. There's just a bit of work to do with the polishing mop here and there but I'll wait for it to harden a bit more first. It needs the black bits on the mudguards etc doing then it's complete.

Found another use for the mini digger today - lifting the Diesel tank from it and carrying it to the workshop for painting :)

Here's a few pictures of it catching today's bright sunlight for the old timers amongst us!

BulldozerD11

Re: Fresh paint on my E12!

Post #2 by BulldozerD11 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:46 pm

looking smart Julian :claphands:

How about some before pictures for comparison ;)

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Topic author
Julian

Post #3 by Julian » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:09 pm

BulldozerD11 wrote:looking smart Julian :claphands:

How about some before pictures for comparison ;)

Dave

Here's one taken a few months back. The picture doesn't really show how poor the paint was, it was a real DIY job with runs all over the show - looked OK from a distance but poor close up.

I've removed the rotating beacons. The roof and grill that had previously been brush painted in aluminium coloured paint and looked poor in my opinion have now been refinished in green and black.

I've just noticed that the battery cover needs putting back on - missed that today!

Julian.

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Neversweat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:38 am

Looks good :thumbup: Are you going to paint the trailer as well :?:

Steve :wave:

Topic author
Julian

Post #5 by Julian » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:56 am

Neversweat wrote:Looks good :thumbup: Are you going to paint the trailer as well :?:

Steve :wave:

Yes, hopefully. I can't get the trailer undercover so It needs doing on a nice dry summer day, hopefully the two pack paint will be helpful because a dry day will see it cure and harden enough to survive a nighttime dew without marking the finish.

Julian.

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Post #6 by Neversweat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:09 pm

Julian wrote:
Neversweat wrote:Looks good :thumbup: Are you going to paint the trailer as well :?: Steve :wave:
Yes, hopefully. I can't get the trailer undercover so It needs doing on a nice dry summer day, hopefully the two pack paint will be helpful because a dry day will see it cure and harden enough to survive a nighttime dew without marking the finish.Julian.

Will you keep it red - i think it goes well with the green of the unit :thumbup:

Steve :)

Topic author
Julian

Post #7 by Julian » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:48 pm

Neversweat wrote:Will you keep it red - i think it goes well with the green of the unit :thumbup:

Steve :)

Oh yes, that way if I miss a few bits it won't look too bad :)

It's a King trailer so am I right to think that it would have left the factory (30 years ago) red?

The Donkey engine on the back platform was a Ducati 3000rpm Diesel that started via a rope and was an absolute swine to start when cold, so I replaced it with a 1500rpm Lister single cylinder that is much easier to start. I resprayed the engine frame, oil tank and pump in a red Massey Ferguson paint that I had to hand and I think the colour is OK. If I can't find the proper shade of paint that King used I think I'll just go for the old Massey Fergy red colour.....

Julian.

Topic author
Julian

Post #8 by Julian » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:46 pm

I did a little video clip of the Rolls Eagle engine starting at about 0 degrees today, lots of lovely clag like a Gardner, but cleans up to nothing after a mile or two down the road. So much better than all these new Diesels which start instantly and never emit so much as a whiff of smoke ;) ;) I just wish I could have found a few tree huggers to watch :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lCOCywfiOQ

Julian.

Return to “Trucks/Lorrys”