Cummins

Topic author
Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Cummins

Post #1 by Neversweat » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:21 pm

Couldn't decide where to post these...........

cummins.jpg

cummins 0.jpg

cummins 2.jpg

cummins 3.jpg

cummins 4.jpg

cummins 5.jpg

cummins 6.jpg

Steve :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Martyn Henley

Re: Cummins

Post #2 by Martyn Henley » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Pretty good place to post them Steve :thumbup: interesting set of prints

thank you :claphands:

Martyn

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi Steve :wave:

Thats very old Cummins stuff you have there, I will have to look out some of the brochures that I have on Cummins.
Cummins was a very big player in the Engines sector during the 60's 70's and 80's but have not fared so well of more recent years, possibly due to the demise of the British truck industry well in this country at least.
I have allways loved the Cummins NH and NT engines they always sounded great, specially the 220.
I have stripped and rebuilt many of the NHC250 and NTCE290 engines and still have the tools to set the injectors on em too.

Jeremy

Topic author
Neversweat

Post #4 by Neversweat » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:10 pm

Hi Jeremy

Thats the trouble with the demise of the likes of Foden, ERF and S/Atkinson that used bought in engine g/boxes and axles - lack of demand :( :( Sad turn of events - like the rest of british manufacturing really :thumbdown:

Steve

DozerDave

Post #5 by DozerDave » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:44 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Hi Steve :wave:

Thats very old Cummins stuff you have there, I will have to look out some of the brochures that I have on Cummins.
Cummins was a very big player in the Engines sector during the 60's 70's and 80's but have not fared so well of more recent years, possibly due to the demise of the British truck industry well in this country at least.
I have allways loved the Cummins NH and NT engines they always sounded great, specially the 220.
I have stripped and rebuilt many of the NHC250 and NTCE290 engines and still have the tools to set the injectors on em too.

Jeremy

On the contrary........Cummins have fared incredibly well in recent years. What was lost in the British truck industry, which was really only a percentage market anyway for Cummins, a far more lucrative gain has been made with the UK Bus and Rail Industries. Despite the current financial climate, Cummins are doing well.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:53 pm

To a degree I would say you could be right there Dave but road haulage wise Cummins have lost out as have Perkins who are now owned by Cat and of course the sad demise of the traditional British diesel engine Gardner.

Yes its true Cummins have their fingers in many different pies and these days thats the only way to be, I do know that they have a deal with Komatsu regarding engines for the larger Komatsu mine haulers and yes there have been Cummins engines fitted into many new British railway loco's/ multiple units, the only way I can hear the roar of a 14 litre NT engine is to catch a train from Cradley Heath to Birmingham as they run the Class 150 Cummins powered sprinters on that line and what a fine sound that is too although I doubt very much that many of the commuters would agree :lol:

Jeremy

IBH

Post #7 by IBH » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:03 pm

An interest set of scans. I'd never heard of 'Industrial Brownhoist' until now.

DozerDave

Post #8 by DozerDave » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:To a degree I would say you could be right there Dave but road haulage wise Cummins have lost out as have Perkins who are now owned by Cat and of course the sad demise of the traditional British diesel engine Gardner.

Yes its true Cummins have their fingers in many different pies and these days thats the only way to be, I do know that they have a deal with Komatsu regarding engines for the larger Komatsu mine haulers and yes there have been Cummins engines fitted into many new British railway loco's/ multiple units, the only way I can hear the roar of a 14 litre NT engine is to catch a train from Cradley Heath to Birmingham as they run the Class 150 Cummins powered sprinters on that line and what a fine sound that is too although I doubt very much that many of the commuters would agree :lol:

Jeremy

Yes indeed Jeremy, Cummins have have kept up with change. As well as Komatsu, the Polish Dozer builder Dressta specify the Cummins C/M/ISL and QS engines in there range of TD machines. Would love to see some Dressta's in action here in the UK. Wishful thinking I guess? ;)

allistairc123

Post #9 by allistairc123 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:54 pm

sort of off subject, but i have recently taken a great interest in american pickup trucks particularly the dodge ram diesel which has a cummins 5.9 l straight 6 with totally legendary strength and reliability. the last 5.9's built were leaving the factory at 325hp standard!, but the most incredible fact is that this 5.9l engine will produce 1000hp using standard internals (crank,rods&pistons), the only thing that needs upgraded is the head studs to withstand the power of massive turbos and injectors/pump !!!
fords 7.3l v8 starts bending con rods at 500hp!!
the dodge has phenominal performance when tuned to a reliable 800 hp, the 3 ton pickup will hurtle down the quarter mile as fact as a ferarri !!
a few clips to illustrate the amazing engine that is the 5.9 cummins...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0XJePUitI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMzlROWf ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZJDkGIzlxM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3yzOq6EcE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUuEqjse ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXVV9scpAsE

Jeremy Rowland

Post #10 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:19 pm

Right then if I can post this link properly then you can hear what I'm talking about when I say that the old Cummins NH220 engines used to sound sweet :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYKCf9fkGyU

This clip isn't the best but turn up your volume and hear that distinctive 220 sound.
This particular truck is an Mk11 Atkinson Borderer and many of these were fitted with the 220 Cummins engine as were ERF, Foden, Guy and some Komatsu dozers too amongst others.

Jeremy

Return to “Trucks/Lorrys”