Bedford Tippers at Work

Topic author
XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Bedford Tippers at Work

Post #41 by XS650 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:32 pm

Nice pics Fred , first one looks like Belgium ,
Always thought them short dump type trailers in pic 2 with Bedford KM looked quite usefull, but they didn't stay in fashion for very long
Not all those who wander are lost.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #42 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi Pete and Craig,
I dont know when the TM went out of production, Bedford went to the wall in 1986. AWD took over from 1987 to 92 but I'm not sure which models they made. :?:

I used to hire TM 6x4 tippers from a local haulage contractor in the 80s, they performed well and they seemed pretty good. :think:

Nice way of telling me that the caption is wrong on the second pic.Craig, thanks, my TL was a KM, :doh: Another senior moment. :lol: :lol:
Those tipping trailers did look pretty usefull. Anyone remember who made them. :?: :?:

The Bedford was not a bad truck, it certainly didn't deserve to die. :cry: :cry:
Fred

Topic author
XS650

Post #43 by XS650 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:25 pm

It was a funny carry on the Bedford truck closure. One of the biggest truck exporters in the world and a great loss to UK industry .
Part of the reason was that the government wanted to sell off parts of British Leyland and Bedford owners GM wanted to buy Land Rover as it would be a good fit with their four wheel drive trucks.
However there was a big campaign by Land Rover enthusiasts about 'Keep Land Rover British' . With petitions and a mass Land Rover drive in to London. (the past is surely a different country!) .
There was also a lot of criticsm about a major defence supplier being sold to an American owned company which was odd because Bedford had been the main supplier of trucks to the British army since 1939 ! Sadly the government caved into this and sold to British Aerospace.
This is supposition on my part but I'm sure this was part of the reason GM then said bollocks to you we're off and closed the Bedford factories.
Incidentally a certain Joseph Cyril Bamford also ran his tape measure over the Land Rover company.
Last edited by XS650 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

tctractors

Post #44 by tctractors » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:54 pm

xs650, thank God JCB failed the L/Rover job, as there bad enough without being turned to crap by the likes of the Bamford Inc'.
those stumpy tipping trailers worked well, I have pulled 1 or 2 of them about in the past, I think they were made by a Co' called Hoyner, they also built car transporters??? I think?? you could tip them 2 ways, the first was with the tractor unit brakes on, then the trailer came forward towards the unit as it tipped, or set the trailer brakes then as it tipped the tractor unit moved backwards, I have it in my mind that 1 of these trailers I pulled had 2 axle lines, as it tipped the first axle was well clear of the ground.

tim

Post #45 by tim » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:40 pm

tctractors wrote:xs650, thank God JCB failed the L/Rover job, as there bad enough without being turned to crap by the likes of the Bamford Inc'.
those stumpy tipping trailers worked well, I have pulled 1 or 2 of them about in the past, I think they were made by a Co' called Hoyner, they also built car transporters??? I think?? you could tip them 2 ways, the first was with the tractor unit brakes on, then the trailer came forward towards the unit as it tipped, or set the trailer brakes then as it tipped the tractor unit moved backwards, I have it in my mind that 1 of these trailers I pulled had 2 axle lines, as it tipped the first axle was well clear of the ground.

This is probably the type you are thinking of tc
ni3.jpg

This trailer was made by Neville Industries as was the single axle dumptrailer in Freds photo.As tc has said Hoynor also made this type of trailer and they were very popular with bulk waste hauliers as they were more stable on landfills than conventional tipping trailers.Their demise was the increase in gross weight to 44 tonnes which meant having to use tri-axle trailers.

:thumbup: Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
XS650

Post #46 by XS650 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:07 am

When I was at school looking out of the window ! one of them dumpy tipping trailers with a Foden S224 tractor unit got stuck on the wet grass whilst delivering sand to a new building. He got it out by 'bunny hopping' the trailer.

FOWLER MAN

Post #47 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:43 pm

XS650 wrote:When I was at school looking out of the window ! one of them dumpy tipping trailers with a Foden S224 tractor unit got stuck on the wet grass whilst delivering sand to a new building. He got it out by 'bunny hopping' the trailer.

I remember that was one of the features they used in their advertising.
I know its not Bedford, (so off topic), but heres a pic. of a similar trailer design from the net.
Fred
scammell_highwayman.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Green Dragon

Post #48 by Green Dragon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Trailer on Griffiths KM was a Neville, lots of hauliers used them in the late 60's early 70's in Scotland.

FOWLER MAN

Post #49 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi,
Bit of research and found that AWD did produce the TM, (and a surprise to me), the TJ too.
Fred
awdj6.jpg

Jeremy Rowland

Post #50 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:10 am

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi,
Bit of research and found that AWD did produce the TM, (and a surprise to me), the TJ too.
Fred
awdj6.jpg

I am surprised at that too Fred :o the TJ must of been for export, I know many were exported by Bedford they were very popular in countries like India.

Jeremy

Return to “Trucks/Lorrys”