essexpete

Leyland T45

Post #1 by essexpete » Mon May 25, 2020 5:32 pm

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Leyland T45

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed May 27, 2020 7:15 pm

Very interesting Pete, also found this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfLrtyaGpu4

Sadly our truck industry was still a long way behind the competition, especially on quality well for Seddon Atkinson I can testify that myself, the 400 series were abysmal wagons, ironically although looking outwardly similar the 401 was far superior and was in my opinion what the 400 should have been the first time around.

Jeremy

Topic author
essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Wed May 27, 2020 10:33 pm

Something I found reading recently Jeremy was that Leyland motors had a big stake in Atkinson which was was not shed until one of the Atkinson mergers. Apparently Leyland had no input into day to day running of Atkinson.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu May 28, 2020 9:17 pm

essexpete wrote:Something I found reading recently Jeremy was that Leyland motors had a big stake in Atkinson which was was not shed until one of the Atkinson mergers. Apparently Leyland had no input into day to day running of Atkinson.

Yes Pete I heard that too, the trouble with Leyland Motors was that they got too big in the end and with so many famous names under their belt it was obvious that they would have to lose some, sadly in the end they lost the lot.

I also suspect that the American drive lines offered by many British truck manufacturers was also losing them trade to the competition, whilst there is nothing wrong with a Fuller 9, Cummins E290 engine and Rockwell rear axle they were still behind the Swede's, like Gardner who said we are the best take us or leave us? The customer is ultimately the one who decides the fate of all businesses whatever they are, if you give crap service and crap products then your company is looking at its own demise.

Jeremy

hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by hair bear » Thu May 28, 2020 10:54 pm

T45 memories...
1, Not the Nine O'clock News
2, A company called Barbers ran a fleet of black T45s, each with a different colour 'Starsky n Hutch' stripe.
3, Later available badged as Scammell.
4, An evil transmission whine.
5, Scalextric racing trucks. Yes I still have four of them, and yes they still all work (100% fleet availability from Leyland!!!).
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Return to “Trucks/Lorrys”