Australian Atkinson from 1975.

Topic author
nelcebee

Australian Atkinson from 1975.

Post #1 by nelcebee » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:14 am

Hi all, just going through some of my old piks and found this one..she is a bit of a strange one for the era, but there were 3 of them made, they were all the same, and were made for a Company that I worked for in the late 1970's, for carting crushed Gypsum on Kangaroo Island in South Australia. The Company originally had 8x4 Fodens with Gardner 180's (6LXB's) in them, and then went on to get these babies made, so they could increase production. I am assuming that they were assembled in Melbourne, but they all had the then new 240 horse 8LXB Gardner's, with 18 speed road-rangers.

They were 10x4's, ie the back two axles were driven, the foremost rear axle had airbags and no drive. They would have carried about 30 tons I guess, but on KI they just loaded them up...to the point where when turning tight corners with a load on the frames eventually broke in half. After that they made semi tippers out of them. I went for a number of rides on these trucks, and loved them. The noise of that straight 8 Gardner was awesome, and like nothing I had heard up till then. They had that much torque I reckon if they had enough traction they would climb up a telegraph pole...but eventually they wore out and were replaced with Volvo semi tippers...the end of an era. Some of the remains were put in a hole, the cabs were sent back to the mainland, I never found out what happened to the engines and running gear. Maybe sold, maybe buried. The back 4 cylinders of that big Gardner were hanging out behind the cab, for all to see....

[url=http://img227.imageshack.us/i/atkinson1975.jpg/]Image
URL of the original image: http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6590/atkinson1975.jpg[/url]

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Australian Atkinson from 1975.

Post #2 by XS650 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:30 am

Good pic and story :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost.

diggerjones
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by diggerjones » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:56 pm

yes great story and pics.
i notice your surname is frizell i would think that was a rare name, there is a digger firm round here with same name and i think there a truck firm in mid wales with same name wonder if any relation.
cheers dylan

Topic author
nelcebee

Post #4 by nelcebee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:34 am

another pik of the same truck.

[url=http://img42.imageshack.us/i/atkinsonc1978ar.jpg/]Image
URL of the original image: http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3173/atkinsonc1978ar.jpg[/url]

and the back 4 pots of the 8LXB...

[url=http://img218.imageshack.us/i/atkinsonc1978gardner.jpg/]Image
URL of the original image: http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6066/atkinsonc1978gardner.jpg[/url]

Cheers

Chris

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:56 pm

Very good pictures. Why did Atkinson not produce an 8 wheeler for the uk that looked like that instead of the prehistoric offerings.

Topic author
nelcebee

Post #6 by nelcebee » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:37 am

I am not an expert on Atkinson's, but I suspect that the cab is an Aussie designed unit, the chassis and running gear would have been imported as CKD parts from the UK and assembled in Melbourne, Atkinson had a facility there, but I do agree, they sure looked pretty tough for their day. I spent many hours as a kid riding these, and the older Foden 8 wheelers, sitting on the quilted engine cover, as they did not have a passenger seat.....probably to stop people riding in them...:) and I remember that they had a switch on the dash that said "deep reduction" which enabled me to hop out of the truck and walk alongside it as it was climbing a steep part of the route loaded, and then hop back in while it was still moving, as it was going so slowly...the Gardners were a brilliant engine, but tended to smoke a bit when they were idling for a while. These trucks copped a real pounding on the unsealed roads that they traversed, the Fodens and Atkinsons were for years the only ones that would stand up to it, other trucks fell to pieces. Great days...

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:42 am

Yes the Aussie Atki sported a cab made down under, I suspect it was a steel cab and not the wood and fibreglass cab that dorned the British made Atki?
The Atkinson product was a quality product no doubt as were the Gardner engine, I had to smile when Chris said he could hop out and walk along side, all Gardner engines were very slow up hill it was the quickest way to tell which make of engine a Sed Atki had in it.
As for Atki quality I think this says it all really...........................

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
nelcebee

Post #8 by nelcebee » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:12 am

Hi Jeremy thats great...pity that a lot of manufacturing companies dont follow a similar creed today. The Aussie Atkinsons and Fodens that I knew has fibreglass cabs, steel would have rusted away and fallen to bits. The alloy tipper body would have been a bit of a novelty for its time too.

panda035

Post #9 by panda035 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:18 am

I was an apprentice at Atkinson from 1974 to 1978. I helped build these trucks.
I can remember that one of these trucks fell over when tipping its load so it was returned to Melbourne, repaired and had the lazy removed and another drive axle installed it also had another steer axle installed. tri drive and tri steer.

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #10 by Holger » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:48 am

Welcome to CMN Peter! :thumbup:
Some resources:
How-To

Return to “Trucks/Lorrys”