Nicks Blog | Priestman excavators.

News from the market and industry

Topic author
RSS Bot

Nicks Blog | Priestman excavators.

Post #1 by RSS Bot » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:47 pm

I have had a fantastic response to my Hymac memories post here on the Digger blog so I thought that I would write a bit about that other great British excavator manufacturer which is also sadly no more Priestman Brothers of Hull.

The company was first established amazingly in 1873 and their early products were winches and grabs.

One of their first excavators was designed in 1920 it was a wheel mounted ditching grab which was towed & powered by a crawler tractor, the No 1 Grab Ditcher was first produced in 1921.

That was the start of a very successful company who went on to produce many different models of excavators including cable style machines like the Tiger, Wolf, Lion, etc through to the early 1960s when they marketed Yumbo Hydraulic machines like the Y35 & Y45.

They developed their own partly hydraulic hydro Cub in 1963 and then in 1965 the fully hydraulic Cub based Beaver like this old model I found on a Devon farm recently.

© Copyright 2009
http://www.contractjournal.com/blogs/digger-blog/2009/04/priestman_excavators.html

Return to “News”