Moving a 6 tonne container

Put your favorite links in this forum!

Topic author
gamble.greg

Moving a 6 tonne container

Post #1 by gamble.greg » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:59 pm

Heres a short clip of me moving one of our 20 foot storage containers. The tilt tray driver told me it weighed in at 6 tonne when he moved it. As always its is never quite put in the right place the first time, :doh: so I chained up the Chamberlain 306 (perkins) to it put her into low low and give it a good hit but all that happened was the front wheels went skyward. I dont have any weights for the tractor and i dont think you would get many on it anyway, so the next best thing to do was chain the 580B backhoe to the front of the Chamberlain and hold it down with that......and here is the "hands free" result.
Cheers, Greg.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVIYOoQ4pTQ
GG

IANOZ

Re: Moving a 6 tonne container

Post #2 by IANOZ » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi Greg, You should have hooked the fowler up to the container.That would have tested out the gearbox repair. Hey a while ago you said you had some questions to ask about your backhoe .Did you sort it out or forgot to ask ? ian.

Topic author
gamble.greg

Post #3 by gamble.greg » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:17 pm

Mate, you are burning the midnight oil there...........I reckon the fowler would have walked the job in without much of a blink, job was done before we got her tho..........I had just forgotten about the Backhoe, thanks for reminding me mate............have you had much to do with the transmission on a 580B? When I got the machine (off ebay of course) she came from a distance away and i didnt have the luxury of doing any testing before auction as i was away at work (as usual), I spoke to the farmer that had her and he assured me there wasnt a problem with her apart from some small hydraulic leaks, so on that i bought her...........I was away at work(getting boringly like usual) when it arrived on the tilt tray, and there was a note in it that said you have to run it for 5 or 6 minutes to warm up the oil in the transmission before trying to move it :arrrrgh: I had been had.
Anyway, it was ok for a while, but I noticed the time was getting longer before you could jump on and drive it, it had to run from cold for about 10 minutes or it wouldnt drive, and pushing in it seemed like it was low on oil, it would buck, drive then not drive etc just on pushing in, reverse was fine. If you were in too high a gear (in forward) drive would just be like a slipping clutch until the revs came back down and you would feel it pick up drive again. I had checked the oil and it was a little low and thought well i had better just change the oil since it was BLACK :doh: (as soon as you told me about the sump oil trick I knew) I drained it and flushed it and put the recommended hydraulic oil back in, cleaned out the filter, it had a ball bearing in the filter case that was not small enough to fit thru any of the fittings on the filter case so I dont know where it came from, put it all together and had NO DRIVE at all.......a fair bit of metal in the old oil too.......dumped that lot of oil out and put engine oil back in and it was marginally better and that is the way she has been since, do I split the machine and send it to the case transmission guy in queensland or do you think there is something I should try first ?? by the red/green pressure guage connected to the shuttle off the clutch pedal it has pressure as soon as you start the engine and when you use the clutch/shuttle pedal pressure drops and picks up straight away.............I already think it is a major repair so anything less could be good..........cheers............gg
GG

IANOZ

Post #4 by IANOZ » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:08 pm

Hi Greg We did have a 580B and it lost drive all together .Did a job loaded it on the truck ,got back to the yard and no drive .From what i remember {and remember i'm no fitter just break them} there is a valve that the transmission cut out on the brake peddle is conected to . When the valve was pulled apart the is a ballbearing inside the valve ,Ours had 2.case must throw a handfull in to each machine as spares .Anyway put it back together minus extra ballbearing and it drove . I would look at that valve to start with.If i remember it should come from the single brake peddle. Ours was slow as well at picking up drive By the sound of the metal things are sad in the clutch pack area ,but look at that valve first. Well i had better head off to work .ian.

IANOZ

Post #5 by IANOZ » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi Greg Post the question in the backhoe forum and Maybe tc tractors or some one with more tool time may be able to give you a better idea ..As i said i am only an operator i get to breakem ,not fixem. ian.

Topic author
gamble.greg

Post #6 by gamble.greg » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:30 pm

Thanks for that Ian, have just posted most of that on the backhoe forum. As a mechanic I always found by listening to the guy that can break the machine he has a fairly good idea of what he can or cant do befroe the machine complains and that is always a good source of knowledge. That is the sort of fault finding that as mechanics we cant do, we just dont know how to break em good like that......... :lol: Cheers mate, ava good weekend. greg
GG

IANOZ

Post #7 by IANOZ » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:14 am

Hi Greg ,.If you ring Barry Lane at lane trading in brisbane ,Tell him what its doing He can usualy tell you what it needs done to it .His phone number if you don't have it is 0738202200 Realy nice guy and knows his stuff. Enjoy your time at home . ian.

Topic author
gamble.greg

Post #8 by gamble.greg » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:52 am

Hi Ian, well as usual, your right again :bow: :bow: Barry Lane is the man, and yep he knows his stuff. When the transmissin finally does come out of the loader, it will get strapped to a pallet and sent up to him. Cheers mate, thanks for that.............greg
GG

IANOZ

Post #9 by IANOZ » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi Greg,No worries ,i guess that is what most of us are on these forums for ,to give help if we can and when in need of help To ask and hopefully recieve some . I just hope them trees you want to knock over don't die of old age before you get a chance to set the fowler on to them :lol: ian.

Topic author
gamble.greg

Post #10 by gamble.greg » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:40 am

Ahhhhhhh, yes the trees, well we have just had a notice in the local paper that we can now clear up to 4 metres from our boundary fences, so that means the dead trees that are still standing out the front can now go, all the manuka bush can be cut down and all the fallen timber can be picked up and removed without fear of prosecution for gathering firewood without a permit or fined for removing vegetation............. :thumbup: :thumbup: this big bugger will be the first to go..............check the size between the 6 inch fence posts and the trunk of the tree, the tree is only about 5 foot behind the fence...............

RIMG2740.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GG

Return to “Links”