FAI Workmaster 180c

Contacts for spares and services

Topic author
Dave.arthur
Flag: Great Britain

FAI Workmaster 180c

Post #1 by Dave.arthur » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:06 pm

Hello All,
I am very new to this forum. I was directed here by a friend who said this site is full of knowledgeable people
who might be prepared to help me out! A big thanks in advance for those who do.
I had a chance to buy a digger advertised as a wheeled hymac. I have since learned it is a FAI Workmaster 180c.
The machine was badged Hymac by FAI, I believe before they were bought out by Komatsu.
I was not too worried about this at first, but when I tried to look up parts, manual etc. things looked a little scarce.
Any advice about the machine would be welcome, was it good, bad or ugly? (actually quite a handsome machine)
In particular advice regarding parts is most important I suppose.
The machine is a 4 wheel drive with 4in 1 bucket and has a perkins engine.
Many Thanks
Dave.arthur

Jeremy Rowland

Re: FAI Workmaster 180c

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:51 pm

Hi Dave and welcome to the site :wave: your machine was one of 63 similar machines sold by Hymac between 1988 and 1990.
Regarding any manuals I would advise you to contact Richard Gould of Hymac Parts and Service he may just be able to help you out there and perhaps with some parts too.
I would guess that Perkins parts are readily available should you require them.

Jeremy

Topic author
Dave.arthur

Post #3 by Dave.arthur » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the welcome and helpful advice. I will contact Richard Gould.

Topic author
Dave.arthur

Post #4 by Dave.arthur » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:05 pm

I spoke with Richard Gould today and basically forgot all about a manual for the machine. It seems the differences between the Workmaster 180C and the Moxy 180B are very subtle. This would rule out my using the Moxy or Fiat 180B manual, it would have to be the Fai 180C workmaster.
He also said that the machines were very well made and it is their 'rarity' not build quality that results in his very few dealings with parts for the machine and nil for any large parts axle etc.
Also he believes parts are available in europe for this machine but price could be an issue for the lager parts. Ram seal kits etc are readily available. All that I will be using the machine for is to move horse muck. The only digging I will ever do is related to my drains and septic tank.
So hopefully very little!
In conclusion two like for like machines JCB 3cx and Workmaster 180C the 180c is 5 grand the JCB 10 grand I can understand the farmer going for the JCB - but for the workload I will give it, I think I will be buying it this week (5 grand one) and my son in law can use it to bury me in 20 years and then weigh it in!

diggerjones

Post #5 by diggerjones » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:21 am

have a look here, i know a bit about them i've got a broshore on your machine somewhere.my machines

Topic author
Dave.arthur

Post #6 by Dave.arthur » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:56 am

Thanks for the reply. I ended up buying a 1985 3CX 4WD Not too long after (2 days) I noticed a slight oil drip at the bottom of the radiator. Then noticed that the radiator panel was welded on. Both front clam shell cylinders leaking, one badly - but appart from that is tidy and seems to run well I just hope it's a slight leak on the hydraulic pump as they are around £5/600 ( I think) if the rams are knackered then it starts to get an expensive machine on top of the £6000 I paid for it - still had I bought the Workmaster/Moxy not sure which, I might not have been able to get parts at all. It's a steep learning curve for me, but to be honest I've really enjoyed watching cylinder repair vids, on youtube, even got into watching line boring vids etc. So bought myself a lecky impact driver, some really big kit bits and bobs, really looking forward to having a go at fixing the ram seals to start. Oh ..yeah...took out some life insurance too!

diggerjones

Post #7 by diggerjones » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:55 pm

well done with the 3cx. where about was the hymac i might be interested myself. any pics of your machine?

Return to “Contacts for spares and services”