Voltage regulation

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
gardnerman

Voltage regulation

Post #1 by gardnerman » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Hello everyone
I've been trying to find a solid state regulator that will suit my Ferguson TEA20 with 12volt dynamo, anyone know if they are available and from where (if pos' an approx price).
I've fitted JG units to old brit bikes and wired the dynamo to produce 12v but not sure that this unit will suit my purpose.
I'd be most grateful if someone could help or even advise/comment please.
Richard

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Voltage regulation

Post #2 by modelman093 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:38 pm

gardnerman wrote:Hello everyone
I've been trying to find a solid state regulator that will suit my Ferguson TEA20 with 12volt dynamo, anyone know if they are available and from where (if pos' an approx price).
I've fitted JG units to old brit bikes and wired the dynamo to produce 12v but not sure that this unit will suit my purpose.

Any particular reason for specifying solid state? After all this dynamo equipped machine would have had a conventional cut out/regulator that are still in plentiful supply and are pretty reliable without being prone to damage from spikes, jump starts and incautious welding!

martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:13 pm

Topic author
gardnerman

Post #4 by gardnerman » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:01 pm

modelman093 wrote:
gardnerman wrote:Hello everyone

Any particular reason for specifying solid state? After all this dynamo equipped machine would have had a conventional cut out/regulator that are still in plentiful supply and are pretty reliable without being prone to damage from spikes, jump starts and incautious welding!

I agree there are the risks of damage electrically but in normal service there is far more potential for faults with a mechanical device.
I did go down the rout of a new mechanical one from Vapormatic (28 quid all in) but this was faulty from outset, rather than adjust and void guarantee I asked for refund.
As I said I've used JG units on old bikes and had excellent results
Richard

Topic author
gardnerman

Post #5 by gardnerman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Just thought I'd add this for anyone who is interested, I've now fitted a very good solid state regulator from AO services in Thetford (quite local in the end), it's working like a dream (even has variable voltage should you require it).
Richard

Return to “Tech Talk”