Concrete removal

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
CaptLimey

Concrete removal

Post #1 by CaptLimey » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:00 am

My newly acquired 2003 Benford PS 3000 needs a paint job but, like a lot of dumpers, the front axle and wheels are covered in concrete from splashes when tipping. Is there a more efficient way of removing the concrete than the 'chippy chippy bang bang' hammer method? For example is there an acid (hydrochloric?) or other chemical that will soften or remove it? Any advice gratefully received.
Rgds CL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julian

Re: Concrete removal

Post #2 by Julian » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:54 pm

A needle de-scaler maybe?

Julian.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi,
We used to knock off the worst and then use Brick Cleaner, ( hydrochloric), but it's not a quick fix.
After you use the acid you have to get it painted pretty quickly because any bare meatal will rust in no time.
Fred

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by modelman093 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:19 am

Julian wrote:A needle de-scaler maybe?

Julian.

......or sand/grit blasting

Topic author
CaptLimey

Post #5 by CaptLimey » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:20 am

Thanks for all the input/interest guys. Shot blasting sounds like the ideal solution but here in darkest France shot blasters are few and far between. A needle gun seems the preferred option of those available. Hydrochloric acid is also an option for the less densely stained areas, combined they may do the trick. After all I just want to tidy it up and cover the rust spots, of which there are many, I don't need showroom condition! Thanks for the advice.
Rgds CL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:52 am

We used to use a needle gun to get the worst off then a wire brush on an angle grinder.A good prime and a top coat.This used to be a regular job when I was on the plant We had a fleet of 100 dumpers of all sizes so were kept busy :lol: .The worst was removing concrete from inside a large mixer .Inside the drum with a small pnumatic breaker for three days :dizzy: worst job I have been on.
Martyn

Julian

Post #7 by Julian » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:55 am

This is similar to the one I have:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cat51-air-needle-scaler?da=1&TC=SRC-needle

I'm not sure that the cheaper ones that are based on a pneumatic chisel are as effective.

You'll need a 3hp compressor for it otherwise you'll be drinking lots of tea while the compressor plays 'catch-up.' :)

Julian.

Return to “Tech Talk”