JCB 3D not going FWD or backward.

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
gminnaar

JCB 3D not going FWD or backward.

Post #1 by gminnaar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:20 am

Good day,

I'm new to the forum as I recently bought a JCB TLB that was in great condition. Just needs a little bit of attention.
I had the two main cylinders on the backhoe redone and replaced the hydraulic pipes as well as these were a little worn.
I also did a service on the machine as I have no idea when last it was done. I also found the nice manuals you have in the download section. Thanks to them I realize that I have quite a bit more to do to make sure the machine is in tip top shape.
However before I go further I have a problem. As after the service I took the machine for a test drive and it drove about 100m and after some maneuvering the machine did not want to go forward or backwards. After a long while of thinking and looking I tried again and it moved but after about 20m it cut out again. The the following day I got about 50m out of the machine and it stop moving again. I read about the torque converter and wondered if the one filter I changed that was in the hydraulic line could not be the culprit. As I'm new to this can you please tell me if the torque converter has its own oil. That is maybe it now that I think about it as the amount in the filter I lost could make it now not go into forward or reverse.

Can you also please tell me what engine I have in the machine as far as I can figure after reading a lot of the posts it that it is a 4 cylinder with a 98mm bore. Can you please tell me if it is a perkins engin or leyland.
S/N: 3D111 140110/5
Engine: 4/98NT/E058/78480

Sorry for all the questions in one post it is just that I want to get my machine into great condition.

Thanks

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB 3D not going FWD or backward.

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:35 am

Hi Gerhard welcome to the site :wave: we do have a few knowledgable JCB members on the site who should be able to offer you some advice. :thumbup:

Jeremy

v64paul

Post #3 by v64paul » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Try checking the oil in the torque converter, usually done with the engine running at fast idle. The 4.98 engine is a Leyland unit.
there are old fitters and bold fitters but no old bold fitters...

philwheelton
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by philwheelton » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:18 am

It's a leyland 498 engine with a brockhouse 11N transmission as Paul says try checking the trans oil it should be checked with the engine running if it needs topping up i think it's ATF (been a long time since i had one of these in bit's)

Topic author
gminnaar

Post #5 by gminnaar » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:08 am

Good day,

Thank you for the welcome and all the replies. As I was typing it made sense for me that it might be low on oil in the torque converter.
Unfortunately for me my company decided to send me away form South-Africa all the way to Europe for the next 6 months. Now I have to wait for a while before I can get in under the machine to check and it is going to bug me all the time. And I can only continue fixing up the machine next year Feb.

Thanks to the manual I downloaded from the site I will look up the oil I have to use as I have seen a table mentioning which oil goes where.

Thanks again for all the replies.

philwheelton
Flag: Great Britain

Post #6 by philwheelton » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:42 am

just looked at your serial no it's not a brockhouse it's a borgWarner shuttle it should run on light engine oil and if it drives for a few yards then stops driving it could be the oil strainer blocking up,you can take the sump off and inspect them with out too much trouble

Topic author
gminnaar

Post #7 by gminnaar » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:17 pm

Thank you Phil,

I will have to do it as I have no idea when last the machine had a proper service. The more I read the manual the more things I find that I need to check. So I'm going to be very busy when I get home again.
I see in the manual that the torque converter needs 11 liters 20W20 oil. At least when I 'm done I will know that the machine is in as good a shape as it can be. The manual helps quite a bit for as a newcomer to TLB's there is quite a bunch of stuff that need to be checked.

Return to “Tech Talk”