PTO adapter and one way clutch

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
MrF
Flag: France

PTO adapter and one way clutch

Post #1 by MrF » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:48 pm

I have the 1-1/8th pto output shaft on my little pony tractor, and Ive bought a couple of the pto adapters to let me drive standard implements (at this stage, a 1.2M topper that requires a 16hp tractor). I ran it with just the adapter and it seemed fine.
However since it has a live pto and is a bit dangerous as a result with the momentum from the topper and the light weight of the tractor I then added a pto clutch into the drivetrain after demolishing a small wall in a "moment", and since then the adapters have been breaking after 20 minutes or so across the roll pin holes.

The clutch itself seems really sloppy, I disassembled it to see if I could tighten the tolerances up with a bit of machine work and there is no bearing, its alloy on alloy with a sprung bit of brass to provide the lock up mechanism. I could possibly machine up some thinwall ptfe liner but its also sloppy onto the adapter splines (even though its provided by the same company...) and the fit to the pto splines is pretty poor too.

I have a theory that the clutch is so shoddily made, that its allowing the end of the pto driveshaft to wave around putting undue load on the adapters which is twisted them off across their weakest point (the roll pin holes). Is this the source of the woes? The seller of the clutch blamed it on my first adapter being too lightweight and sold me the "heavy duty" one, which has failed the same way today after about 30 mins runtime. Next step up is the new fergie PTO output shaft conversion they sell, but there is no guarantee it will fit my massey harris at all. And if the same company made it that made the clutch, I don't want it going anywhere near my tractor thanks all the same.

Finally I saw that there is someone selling a pto clutch that is directly 1-1/8th on the input and 1-1/4 output, no adapter needed. While I'm loathe to shell out another hundred quid fixing what the other seller's kit was supposed to fix, if it fixes it it'll be worth it.
Is there some brand or variant that's going to be made to better tolerances than the crap I've already been sold?

I'm so close to having a working setup and a usable machine its frustrating. Any advice much appreciated.

Return to “Tech Talk”