International 100B lack of forward drive + where to get service manual?

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
Ingo

Re: International 100B lack of forward drive + where to get service manual?

Post #11 by Ingo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:16 am

Hi Guys,
little update:

I am not sure if this model has a clutch as it has a hydro-static transmission.(someone told me)
Smart as I am :mrgreen: I thought I swap the tans hoses directly on the trans pump,I thought this will change the reverse to the forward but that was not the case.

I swapped the hoses and the only thing what changed was:

lever forward = track backward (100% fast)

lever reverse = track forward (slow not full power) :arrrrgh:

I though I can swap the hoses and the forward becomes the reverse , and the reverse forward , not the case :thumbdown:
Or do I have to swap some other hoses?

I found a bend pipe under the cab floor , it is one of the transmission hoses which comes from the pump and goes under the floor.
The hose itself is ok but 10-15cm before it goes into the body of the machine it changes to a steel pipe and that is squashed and bend.
Maybe that trans oil flow (pressure) is not correct and is not enough power to move the track forward.

Or is this just the reverse hose ? I am not sure and helpless without a manual.

Any suggestions?

romneyman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by romneyman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi Ingo
If this machine is a British built {Doncaster} example it will have two hydraulicly operated clutch packs, one for forward and one for reverse.
To my knowledge I H never built a 100B with hydrostatic transmission {though some wheeled loaders and tractors were}.
From what you are describing it sounds as if the forward clutch pack is shot, these are only snall packs and once they start slipping they quickly burn out.
To carry out the repair is an engine out job and then work your way in.
I have been out of the earthmoving game since 1980 and am now retired so don't know the spares situation.
Martyn that posted earlier is restoring some I H machines and may be able to let you know if parts are available and where to obtain them.
Best of luck,
Peter

Topic author
Ingo

Post #13 by Ingo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:49 pm

Hi Peter,

The guy I bought the machine of said it is a hydrostatic clutch, yes it is build in the UK.
Is it possible to hide such a fault (for a short term) as he said he never had is problem, now I bought it 2 hrs later it is not working :arrrrgh: paid a shit load of money for it!
So there is nothing else I could test?

martyn williams

Post #14 by martyn williams » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:12 am

Parts are around but hard to obtain there is a supplier in the UK . If the pack is gone you will have to remove the front of the machine,a windy gun on the bolts does the trick.The engines on these I H machines far are easier to remove than the older ones.
Martyn

Topic author
Ingo

Post #15 by Ingo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:38 am

Thanks Martyn
I found a leaking trans hose , I just want to make sure it is not the hose, Can someone tell me which hoses are the suction hoses on the trans oil pump near the Battery?
Does someone have the manual pages to pull the clutch apart?
I know how to remove the engine but from there on I am green !

Help is much appreciated!

Cheers Ingo

romneyman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #16 by romneyman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi Ingo
I think that when you swapped the hoses over and you still had the problem on the forward pack you have eliminated the pipework as the cause of the fault.
You mentioned that the pump is by the battery, am I reading that right? The trans pump is mounted in the torque converter housing and is driven off the back of the converter.
My memory is a bit hazy after all these years but I seem to remember that the four pipes that disappear into the converter housing {down between the brake pedals} are: outlet ,reverse ,inlet, forward.
Once the engine and coverter are out and the lid is off the gearbox it is a matter of working your way in to remove the clutch packs,they are both on the same shaft. Some good circlip pliers are handy for working on these.
Let us know how you get on
Peter

Return to “Tech Talk”