Hesselman Engines (Allis, Volvo, Scania, Waukesha)

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Hesselman Engines (Allis, Volvo, Scania, Waukesha)

Post #1 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:24 am

Hi All,
For those who doubted the practicallity or viabillity of the spark ignition oil, (diesel), fuelled engines refered to in my recent post "Some Historic Equipment." (Or just thought it wouldnt work.)

Hesselman who develloped the system was a Sweedish Engineer who had worked for Atlas Diesel, later to become Atlas Copco.
Not surprisingly his system was used among others by Sweedish manufacturers Scania Vabis and Volvo. Volvo used Hesselman engines till 1947.

In America Waukesha addopted the design and produced these engines till 1951. When I started work in the 1950s there were still some of them about in American Army Surplus plant.

I'm not sure, but they may have produced the engines used by Allis Chalmers in their "O" tractor ranges. Or possibly they were Allis's own?

There are some interesting pics. below from the Volvo and Waukesha museums. If you want the full story just Google "Hesselman Engines."
Fred
tc-6wakh-lhs-e-16-100_4569.jpg
tc-6wakh-rhs-e-8-100_4568.jpg
volvo_motormuseum_8.jpg
volvo_motormuseum_6.jpg
hesselman-form908n-ed15-7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Hesselman Engines (Allis, Volvo, Scania, Waukesha)

Post #2 by modelman093 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:29 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi All,
For those who doubted the practicallity or viabillity of the spark ignition oil, (diesel), fuelled engines refered to in my recent post "Some Historic Equipment." (Or just thought it wouldnt work.)

Hesselman who develloped the system was a Sweedish Engineer who had worked for Atlas Diesel, later to become Atlas Copco.
Not surprisingly his system was used among others by Sweedish manufacturers Scania Vabis and Volvo. Volvo used Hesselman engines till 1947.

In America Waukesha addopted the design and produced these engines till 1951. When I started work in the 1950s there were still some of them about in American Army Surplus plant.

I'm not sure, but they may have produced the engines used by Allis Chalmers in their "O" tractor ranges. Or possibly they were Allis's own?

There are some interesting pics. below from the Volvo and Waukesha museums. If you want the full story just Google "Hesselman Engines."
Fred
tc-6wakh-lhs-e-16-100_4569.jpg
tc-6wakh-rhs-e-8-100_4568.jpg
volvo_motormuseum_8.jpg
volvo_motormuseum_6.jpg
hesselman-form908n-ed15-7.jpg

When I was assistant fleet engineer in a heavy haulage and crane hire company in the early 70s the boss was a guy who had spent most of his working life with Dorman Long, the bridge builders. He always spoke fondly of Waukesha engines on compressors and pumps. Also, what he didn't know about wire ropes and hoist gear was not worth knowing !
Interesting that Hesselman started with Atlas because if I'm not mistaken the very first Cats with diesel power were third party conversions using Atlas engines.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Tue May 08, 2012 10:27 am

Hi All.
For anyone who is still curious about the workings and capabillities of these spark ignition oil engines , heres the deffinitive explanation from one of the manufacturers.
Click on the link below. Then click "open" on the bar which will appear at the bottom of your screen..
Fred
hesselman-form1215-r.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark.Rive

Post #4 by Mark.Rive » Tue May 08, 2012 8:00 pm

:gooodpost: Great post Fred, thank you very much :thumbup: Mark

Dennis WEHS

Post #5 by Dennis WEHS » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:28 pm

Just a point of legalese: when you take photos, diagrams and pdf files from copyrighted sources such as those from the 'Waukesha Museum' you really should get permission or as a minimum you should give full and accuate credit to the source. The Waukesha Hesselman photos, diagram and pdf came from The Waukesha Engine Historical Society's website http://www.wehs.net from an article about Hesselman http://www.wehs.net/hesselman.html. The website and the information provided is copyright protected.

Return to “Tech Talk”