Benford 9t Dumper

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
bigkit
Flag: Great Britain

Benford 9t Dumper

Post #1 by bigkit » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:03 pm

PLEASE HELP................ :(

How do I put the tranny and torque converter back in with the tranny, torque converter and pump assembled together before I put them on the block? :eh:

The problem is bolting the torque coverter to the flywheel after the bell housing is bolted up! :dizzy:

There is no hatch to get in there or do you have to take the starter out and go in from there? :shock:

Any help much appreciated...............
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martyn williams

Re: Benford 9t Dumper

Post #2 by martyn williams » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:00 pm

I would guess that the access must be where the starter fits, is it just bolts and not nuts and bolts to fit it to the flywheel? On some machines I have worked on,you bolt the convertor to the flywheel FIRST and there is a spline to line up between transmission and the torque that is already bolted to the flywheel ie a power shift Drott
Hope this helps
Martyn

jcb4cx

Post #3 by jcb4cx » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:03 pm

When i took the engine out of my discovery auto ,i removed the starter to access the bolts for the flex plate
shame it only needed an alternator :o :oops: but thats another story
every village has one , is yours missing you

Topic author
bigkit

Post #4 by bigkit » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:08 pm

Thanks Martyn and Graham. :thumbup:

Apparently the torque converter and the pump MUST be fitted on the spline through the gearbox prior to fitting the bellhousing. I am told it is impossible to know whether you have correctly alligned the crank shaft dog into the pump if you fit the torque converter to the flywheel first. This may well be true, I did it that way last time and have mashed a pump and torque converter. I DONT WANT TO DO THIS AGAIN!

Maybe JS220 know the answer. Someone must have fitted new clutch packs in these dumpers before................. :?

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:32 pm

I can remember putting a MF300 track loader engine to transmission together,I often thought that this procedure is a bit hit and miss,but never had a problem.Just a lot of care has to be taken during alignment.
Good luck
Martyn

Topic author
bigkit

Post #6 by bigkit » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:51 pm

Um.........had one bad experience and trying to avoid another :|

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:06 am

I must admit when helping to fit a transmission back on the borg warner soft shifts (JCB and Sanderson) it felt very hit and miss with the shaft looking/feeling like it had the potential to damage the torque covertor (fitted to the flywheel). Would it be possible to phone Benford and speak to their service or technical department? I have done this with some ag machinery and have been pleasantly surprised by the help.

tctractors

Post #8 by tctractors » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:20 am

Bigkit the way the torque stands well out from the front housing would have me poking around the engine back plate and starter motor hole to bolt up the flex plate, if you have not done the job yet I would tie in the converter to the trans before you start shuffling it towards its perch, as these bits will fall off in a second.
I have just done 2 I.T.L. transmissions on the bump, in these dirty little dumpers, (about 6 tonners) but the converter fits well into the gearbox front case and is bolted to the flywheel via a small window at the bottom of the case, the place I get all my transmission parts from is A.T.P. at Cannock Wood Ind' Estate, the help and service you get is "The Best" plus the parts are penny's compaired to the main dealers like JCB etc, exchange torques are often £ 150 to £200 plus they would be the biggest transmission rebuilder in the U.K.

Topic author
bigkit

Post #9 by bigkit » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Wow :bow: Pete and Tony thats great advice. :thumbup:

No access plate on the bottom of the bellhousing I'm afraid so its in then from the starter then! :roll: I had already thought about tieing it all in together prior to lifting in so thanks for the confirmation. :roll:

I think its the only way to do the job but I may just ask the Benford dealer just in case there is a nack or an easy way!

Thanks again, will keep you posted.... :thumbup:

Return to “Tech Talk”