Petter PH2

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
Land Rover

Petter PH2

Post #1 by Land Rover » Thu May 30, 2019 2:26 pm

I have an old PH2 Petter on the logsplitter .
It's always been a noisy smoky thing of great beauty that I assumed would work even after nuclear holocaust .

However while trying to split a stubborn log I upped the revs to max . I started to hear a mechanical noise from the top end and instantly returned it to idle . All seemed fine but I had a popping that sounded like the engine firing through the exhaust .
I stopped it and had a look under the tappet cover and then even a look in the crankcase via the removable windows . Nowt to see .
I started it again and after removing the air filter could feel more air coming out of the air intake than going in - it was like an exhaust .
I had some small mechanical noises and I decided to stop it by killing the throttle .
Just before it reluctantly died I saw some oil leach out from a couple of gaskets which worried me .

Off with the heads . Nothing to see . One exhaust valve lets WD40 past slowly . Pistons removed and nothing to see , although well used .
I found a small golf ball sized lump of coal in the sump and some small bits of swarf , but nothing that looked horrendous . It all seems to be ok within reason .
I have left it as is and I'm away at work thinking of ordering some bits . The one thing I wish I had checked was whether the exhaust was choked . It would be the only thing that would make sense . Anyone got any thoughts ?

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Petter PH2

Post #2 by mechman » Thu May 30, 2019 2:56 pm

Hi Gordon.
The exhaust ports can block up with deposits on these motors, Mine was blocked solid on one cylinder and had to chisel the blockage out. I was told that occurs because they run on tickover for long periods I.E tea breaks meal breaks ETC.(knowing their reputation for hand cranking) I can believe it.
try taking the exhaust valves out and checking the ports ETC while you have the heads off.
Norm.

Topic author
Land Rover

Post #3 by Land Rover » Thu May 30, 2019 3:23 pm

Thanks Norm ,
the head ports did have a fair build up but not too bad . I just wish I'd had a look in the exhaust manifold .
The air coming out the air intake is a bit of a worry and I hope it's just a blocked exhaust .
Yeah , I leave mine idling most of the time . The smoke when it gets revved up is bad ! .
It's always a case of on with the welding gauntlets when it's starting time !
Thanks , Gordon .

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Thu May 30, 2019 9:51 pm

Fred will be along soon to add his invaluable knowledge to the pot!
I wonder if an inlet valve is not seating properly or crank case pressure building.

mechman

Post #5 by mechman » Fri May 31, 2019 10:49 am

Does sound like more of a valve issue though.
Norm.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #6 by FOWLER MAN » Fri May 31, 2019 3:08 pm

essexpete wrote:Fred will be along soon to add his invaluable knowledge to the pot!
I wonder if an inlet valve is not seating properly or crank case pressure building.

Hi,
Sounds like the engine needs decarbonising to me.
Is there possibly a blocked exhaust pipe or is the silencer mounted directly to the exhaust manifold :think: Let us know what you find.
I posted detailed procedure to set up the pumps to eliminate the smoke problem on here about a month ago. (April 16th)

Fred

Topic author
Land Rover

Post #7 by Land Rover » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:19 am

Thanks Fred , I will search out your post now .
The exhaust silencer was a new off ebay item , a vertical stack meant for a grey fergie . I've got the rain cap on top but I just can't remember whether it was a straight through or packed with wool type . When I first used it the flap used to be full open even on idle and recently I did notice that the flap wasn't lifting much - and I was getting some of the smoke blown onto me . I think i'll just go with a 2 inch pipe or cut the silencing material out of it and stitch it back together .
First time I've had any real engine issues with anything I've had , I usually treat them gentle and don't have any bother .
I thought I'd do rings as well .
I am measuring about 87.79 with the liddles calipers , standard size is 87.3 . The pistons are AE and marked BLPVD 80051E030T with what I think is the part number 350254 . Does the 30T in the first number signify 30 thou over ? From what I measured it would seem 20 thou over ?

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:45 am

Interesting! Ex dumper? What is the silver box like construction?

Topic author
Land Rover

Post #9 by Land Rover » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:05 pm

Yeah Pete , it was a winget I think . Lay on a hillside nearby , omly one axle working , clutch blown , no brakes or fuel tank and loads of other issues . I chopped it up and I have never seen a machine so heavily constructed - those wingets were made to last that's for sure ! The two rams for the tilt are twinned together for the travelling wedge . The center hinge ram was going to be a tilting table to get the big rounds onto it , but I ran out of enthusiasm when the sun came out .

The metal box hinges down and just covers the engine . Just an angle iron frame with galvy sheet riveted on . Means I can leave it outside and at least the engine stays dry .

mechman

Post #10 by mechman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Gordon.
Any progress with that PH2 engine?
Norm.

Return to “Tech Talk”