Petter PH2

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
Land Rover

Re: Petter PH2

Post #11 by Land Rover » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:23 pm

Norm , yeah , I got her going again yesterday .
Long and short of it is the vertical stack meant for a grey Fergie was almost entirely blocked with carbon :oops: :doh:

I didn't stretch to new rings and just put the piston I removed back in as was . One of the exhaust ports was bad with carbon and I lapped the valves in although they werent too bad .One of the injectors was carboned up and seemed to be almost completely blocked . I'm thinking I was running on as good as one cylinder since I got it . I cleaned up the outside of the injectors and started dismantling them - I just measured the adjuster clearance with a calliper and re set them to the same depth . I didn't get right into the injectors but by the end I was getting a proper spray pattern out of them and a nice plink .
New gasket set and did the tappets , couldn't help but notice massive play in the rocker arms . The bearings or bushes must be well gone .
Got it back together with the exhaust now just a straight through pipe and she started up eventually . It was a pig to start :dizzy: It's running very clean and I'm now getting a tiny trickle out the spill ( ? ) pipe on top of the injectors which I never got before . I'll need to ask about to see about getting the injectors set , but if it starts easy enough tomorrow i'll maybe just leave it be :thumbup:

What would be the downside if I slackened the injector adjusters half a turn each ?. Would that put too much fuel in ?.

Thanks Norm and others , the machine lives again :thumbup:

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by mechman » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:27 pm

I always send injectors to them that know, same as the pumps.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #13 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:25 pm

As I said then a restricted exhaust. :thumbup: That much carbon build up points to over fuelling. :think:
Adjust the excess fuel, ( cold start), screw till you get a near clear exhaust when opening the throttle. I've explained setting up and spill timing the pumps on here a little while ago. look back a month or two. ( posted April 16) :thumbup:
Fred

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #14 by cobbadog » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:58 am

The good thing about fixing up old grey fergies is that the parts are available and cheap for a complete engine rebuild kit. We did one here and the full in frame kit was AU$500.00 plus had new valves and springs fitted to the head and removed that alloy plug out of the head and fitted a flat welsh plug.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Tech Talk”