Powerfab 1200XD Track Sprocket Removal

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
Dinkytoy1974
Flag: Wales

Powerfab 1200XD Track Sprocket Removal

Post #1 by Dinkytoy1974 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:05 am

Hi all. Getting ready to remove one of the hydraulic track motors off my old powerfab 1200 XD minidigger to address an oil leak. Not sure how the drive sprocket is connected to the motor though. Ive attached a pic. Looks like there were originally two cap head allen bolts on the centre hub and one 24mm Hex Bolt. Theres evidence of hammer marks on the centre flange as if its been screwed,unscrewed in the past. As can be seen the photo though the flange, 24mm bolt etc have all been welded to the sprocket. Not sure if this was done originally or retro to prevent it all coming loose ? Any suggestions removal appreciated . Cheers Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Powerfab 1200XD Track Sprocket Removal

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:44 am

Hi Mark; what is the other side like has somebody welded the nut on that side as well? My best guess would be to use a small grinder, a die grinder if you have one with a small slitting disc to cut the weld to let you undo the bolt.

Jeremy

Topic author
Dinkytoy1974

Post #3 by Dinkytoy1974 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:58 pm

Hi Jeremy thanks for reply. Exactly the same except one of the jacking bolts is still intact . Will try grinding off weld on plate/nut and see what comes free.

chrisg3103
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by chrisg3103 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:24 pm

Hi, bit of thread resurrection and my first post, but though id share.
I have just had this issue, with a powerfab 1200XD too no less. The sprocket is retained by a bolt going though the plate with the two holes, looks like the plate is welded to the sprocket in the first post? Mine was not and do not think it should be! so those are the first welds to go.
Then cut the hex back into the bolt head, I was then able to get a socket and an impact gun on and whizzed off the bolt and plate as one. If you dont want to square up the bolt head you can probably undo it by a big spanner on the flats of the plate.
Basically the plate and bolt should just unscrew, hopefully help someone, this was the only post i could find when trying to figure it out

A side note is that the sprocket should be attached to the final drive by a taper, mine was already loose but sprocket may require a puller if not

Topic author
Dinkytoy1974

Post #5 by Dinkytoy1974 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:30 pm

Hi Chris thanks for posting. Yes originally there was a large tab washer with was held by the two bolts and the tabs were then knocked up around the 24mm nut to stop it coming loose. I drilled all the bolts and lock wired the lot together. Have you managed to find a manual for the 1200 or a greasing point for the slew bearing?

chrisg3103
Flag: Great Britain

Post #6 by chrisg3103 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:06 pm

Sorry for the delay, didn't get a notification there was a reply!
Havnt looked for a grease point for the slew bearing yet, things are going at a glacial speed repair wise...
No manual either, contacted Charles Miller at micro plant a while ago looking and he couldn't help either, dont suppose you have a spare track roller! Charles had one but wont answer emails

Return to “Tech Talk”