Safety Bulletin

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Safety Bulletin

Post #1 by hair bear » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:27 pm

I picked this link up from the HMVF website and thought it was worth posting although probably common sense to most.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/safetybulletins/t ... ioning.htm
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: Safety Bulletin

Post #2 by Mrsmackpaul » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:34 am

Thats very interesting

I dont think most of us realize just how dangerous some of this stuff is at times

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:30 am

A work colleague of mine lost two fingers on his left hand due to grease injection; that happened around 1981-2 caused by a small hole in the slide on type grease connector used on an air powered grease gun. :thumbdown: Take care when using grease guns they are more dangerous than you might think.

Jeremy

Topic author
hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by hair bear » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:22 pm

Well, I'd not really thought about it before. It was drilled into us about diesel injectors when testing them etc., but a grease gun wouldn't have been on my radar. It was probably one of the first power tools I ever used, and certainly younger that 10. Air powered in the yard or bucket pump in the field. They had a sort of push button on the trigger, one way for volume - the other for pressure. If it wouldn't go by volume them switch to pressure and beast it in there! No gloves, goggles or anything. Sort of scary thinking about it...
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:38 am

hair bear wrote:Well, I'd not really thought about it before. It was drilled into us about diesel injectors when testing them etc., but a grease gun wouldn't have been on my radar. It was probably one of the first power tools I ever used, and certainly younger that 10. Air powered in the yard or bucket pump in the field. They had a sort of push button on the trigger, one way for volume - the other for pressure. If it wouldn't go by volume them switch to pressure and beast it in there! No gloves, goggles or anything. Sort of scary thinking about it...

Yes Rob same here I used an air powered grease gun from my mid teens but after the accident where my work mate ended up losing two fingers I have been very cautious when using this type of equipment ever since then.

Jeremy

Return to “Tech Talk”